Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 4 baby mallards from my local TSC, I also picked up flock raiser feed which I heard was what I needed, if anyone has some tips or advice to get me started anything will help thanks

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I suggest a PM to birdslave, twentynine, piglett, or Apyl if you need immediate answers. They're the duck people mostly. Hope I didn't forget anyone.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Hi , welcome to the world of ducks :) Sounds like your off to a good start. Just be prepared to change bedding often , handle them often, and give them some sink time for a few minutes each day. If the water time last to long they can get to cold. They are not as sensative when it comes to the heating of the brooder. Just go by how they act. Mine newest babies are a week old and are fine with about 70 degrees. If you every have any questions feel free to ask.

·
977 Posts
Apyl, is correct! Baths and alot of holding ! When my Pekins were small I held them alot and when they were outside with me they would follow me everywhere ! I loved it! Best feathers too! I can just nestle right into them, so soft! Enjoy , they are messy birds thou!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Messy to say the least! They sure are funny! Mine are turning 6 weeks old already. I have them in with the chickens now. Coop is heated so its nice and cozy in there for them. They and the chickens made the transition with no problems.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
What is your suggestion on the best bedding for them
In my brooder I have pine shavings, in the coop I have straw. Basically use anything except cedar. Its a trial and error type thing to find what works best for you and your set up.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Messy to say the least!
You can say that again! lol And one of the reasons ours had to go. They had a pond and a kiddie pool but they were always in the horses water, dogs bucket or any other water they could find.

We never did the sink time, just made sure they had food, changed their water a few times a day. (To try and keep it half way clean)

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Oh my gosh! That's hilarious! Since the ducks haven't figured out that the ramp that leads them out to the run is the same ramp they need to go back in coop, the chickens got to enjoy clean water today. ;) Can you believe my 2 are 6 weeks old already!!! Me neither! The little one really started to quack today. Did a couple little ones on Sunday and then I didn't hear any yesterday. Big duck still peeps yet.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Great pic! So funny!
I agree ... A great picture ... Till you are the person cleaning the duck muck out of the other critters buckets. ;)

Two or three times a day ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts