Iiiicccckkk

Discussion in 'Chicken Stories and Images' started by Pinkter, Dec 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Anyone ever encounter this while getting eggs?

image-2606428230.jpg

2. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Where do you live? That would freak me out!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

That's hideous!!! Thank god I do NOT have anything like that here!!! I hope it wasn't in there the same time as your chickens. I'd never want to go in there again afterwards or let my girls back in. Nasty. Nasty. Someone help you get it out of there I hope? And plug up where ever it found its way in at?

4. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I live in Northeast Texas, Leonard. Lots of chicken snakes. They don't seem to be interested in the chickens, just the eggs. I always LOOK before reaching in for the eggs!

5. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

My husband has become the snake whisperer. He gets them out for me, drives them to a creek, and lets them go.

6. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

Yes ... twice. :eek:

Golf balls are my friends, place them in the nest box. The snake will eat the golf ball and any eggs but will not be back. ;)

7. robopetz

robopetz New Member

SCARY!!!! I don't have to worry. No snakes in Hawaii.

8. kahiltna_flock

kahiltna_flock New Member

No snakes in Alaska either, thank god. I would totally freak. I can't even look at the photo..

9. ThreeJ

ThreeJ New Member

I know my chicken days would be over if I found one in my coop.

10. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

Wow! Is it a rat snake? I have read that the rat snake is usually the one that is found raiding nests for eggs. Thankfully they are non-posionous. Would really unnerve me if I walked into my coop and found that.

11. Trixy

Trixy Fixin to Get Ready for Chickies

Shudder!

I grew up on an Iowa farm, but I've never been able to get over the Snakey Heebie-Jeebies. You win. Ew...ew...ew...ew!

12. papabooo

papabooo New Member

Haven't found one in my chicken coop yet. But quite regularily I find a snake down eatting my Ducks eggs in their nest. Since we have Rat Snakes,Black snakes,rattlesnakes,and watermoccasins and cotton mouth. I don't wait to find out if they are harmless. I don't know if it is true ,but I was told the chicken or rat snakes will eat baby chicks.Any one have any inside in that area?

13. ChickensSayMoo

ChickensSayMoo Junior Member

Yuck Yuck AND Double Yuck! :eek:
    I wouldnt like to see that!
    Never had a snake in a nest box before (and hopefully never will!) but have had a big carpet snake in the coop!
    Luckierly it hasnt been back....and the chook house is snake & rat proof at night.

Definitely look Before you collect any eggs!

14. wilyum

wilyum New Member

Yea I would never be the same! Yea I also think my chicken day would be over.

15. dcfrenkel

dcfrenkel New Member

Thanks for sharing. Though it is a bit frightening, it is also a great photo.

16. Stusquatch

Stusquatch New Member

If that is a Great Basin Gopher Snake, I would be interested in taking it off your hands. Our indiginous population is almost gone, so I have been looking for a breeding pair.

17. JustJane44

JustJane44 New Member

Yes! Three days in a row. I bagged them in a feed sack and took them for a ride 10 miles up into the forest and turned them loose. I havent seen any for a year. They were black snakes, harmless but still un-nerving.

18. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Yes I think they are your common chicken snake, rat, or black snake. I think they have all three names.

19. Nanyer

Nanyer New Member

that is mean !! just a harmless chicken snake

20. Tony-O

Tony-O New Member

It ain't so harmless when it's eating/killing your baby chicks and ducklings, or stealing your eggs. :mad:
    I like using the golf balls too. ;) If they were eating the mice, etc, they wouldn't be getting the golf balls. :D