Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
That's hideous!!! Thank god I do NOT have anything like that here!!! I hope it wasn't in there the same time as your chickens. I'd never want to go in there again afterwards or let my girls back in. Nasty. Nasty. Someone help you get it out of there I hope? And plug up where ever it found its way in at?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Northeast Texas, Leonard. Lots of chicken snakes. They don't seem to be interested in the chickens, just the eggs. I always LOOK before reaching in for the eggs!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband has become the snake whisperer. He gets them out for me, drives them to a creek, and lets them go.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Yes ... twice. :eek:

Golf balls are my friends, place them in the nest box. The snake will eat the golf ball and any eggs but will not be back. ;)

·
I luv Polish & Houdans
137 Posts
Wow! Is it a rat snake? I have read that the rat snake is usually the one that is found raiding nests for eggs. Thankfully they are non-posionous. Would really unnerve me if I walked into my coop and found that.

·
Fixin to Get Ready for Chickies
2 Posts
Shudder!

I grew up on an Iowa farm, but I've never been able to get over the Snakey Heebie-Jeebies. You win. Ew...ew...ew...ew!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't found one in my chicken coop yet. But quite regularily I find a snake down eatting my Ducks eggs in their nest. Since we have Rat Snakes,Black snakes,rattlesnakes,and watermoccasins and cotton mouth. I don't wait to find out if they are harmless. I don't know if it is true ,but I was told the chicken or rat snakes will eat baby chicks.Any one have any inside in that area?

·
178 Posts
Yuck Yuck AND Double Yuck! :eek:
I wouldnt like to see that!
Never had a snake in a nest box before (and hopefully never will!) but have had a big carpet snake in the coop!
Luckierly it hasnt been back....and the chook house is snake & rat proof at night.

Definitely look Before you collect any eggs!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If that is a Great Basin Gopher Snake, I would be interested in taking it off your hands. Our indiginous population is almost gone, so I have been looking for a breeding pair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! Three days in a row. I bagged them in a feed sack and took them for a ride 10 miles up into the forest and turned them loose. I havent seen any for a year. They were black snakes, harmless but still un-nerving.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I think they are your common chicken snake, rat, or black snake. I think they have all three names.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sundancers said:
Yes ... twice. :eek:

Golf balls are my friends, place them in the nest box. The snake will eat the golf ball and any eggs but will not be back. ;)
that is mean !! just a harmless chicken snake

·
Registered
115 Posts
It ain't so harmless when it's eating/killing your baby chicks and ducklings, or stealing your eggs. :mad:
I like using the golf balls too. ;) If they were eating the mice, etc, they wouldn't be getting the golf balls. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts