Identify breed

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by earlyt89, Aug 21, 2012.

1. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

What breed is this rooster. He was given to me. Somebody told me Americauna but idk

Attached Files:

2. LindaR

LindaR New Member

I did a google search & came up with Wellsummer. The hens lay choclate brown eggs.

3. LindaR

LindaR New Member

Here is the picture

Attached Files:

4. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Wow that looks a lot like Chanty. That's what we call him. Thank u so much. I would enjoy anyone else's input as well

5. cogburn

cogburn New Member

That is nice looking rooster... I'll post a link to a site where you can find out..

Again,
    Nice Rooster !!

Cogburn

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

7. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

According to the website you just posted the Welsummer cock looks exactly like my Chanty. Thank you both. I think we found it

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

No problem... That's a handy site, I've spent hours lookin and reading info from it..

Cogburn

9. omg3kids

omg3kids New Member

10. AmyR

AmyR Junior Member

The Welsummer rooster is actually the rooster on the cornflakes box... A little pice of random trivia! I have a Welsummer hen, she's very pretty too.

11. Julienkc

Julienkc New Member

He looks like a black copper marans roo to me.

12. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Wow if you use the website listed above. The Welsummer Roos and the black copper Marans look exactly the same. But one of the hen I got with him look like the black Maran hens listed. I'm confoooooosed. They look the same. I just want to know what to expect when I start breeding him into my stock this spring.

13. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

earlyt89, what did the seller tell you the bird was??? there are a lot of chicken breeds that are Black with Red....Black Breasted Red (BBR) American Games are one example but body shape rather than color alone is the way to "guess" at the breeds origin. Your best bet is to ask the person who sold it to you and if they don't give you a good answer find a breeder who knows what they have and you will be money ahead with your breeding program!!!

14. Julienkc

Julienkc New Member

x2
    He could also just be a mix, although most of them I see don't fit a color variety as good as him. I think marans simply because his beak is dark, most wellsummers I see are yellow. Does he have feathers/stubs on his leg? If so, he's marans, but if he doesn't that doesn't mean he's not either.
    BCM also seem to be an "it" breed now days, which is another reason I think it's more likely.

15. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

The woman had bought a bunch of chickens from all over southern Alabama. And she was getting old that's why she was selling what she had. This woman had probly 200 chickens running around her yard half of them roosters. So it very well could be that he is mixed. She told me he was Americauna but he looks nothin like mine. I think the woman was old and suffering from dementia. I bought 15 hens from her all laying hens. And she gave me 5 roosters cause she had so many. She had RIR, sex links, marans, silkies, buffs, dominiquers, barred rocks, guineas, all kinds I laying and meat chickens. All the hens were in bad shape because of the surplus roosters. But that was the only one that she said was Americauna and I didn't see any others.

16. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

He started running cuz he knew I wanted to get close to him sorry for the bad pics

Attached Files:

17. AmyR

AmyR Junior Member

He's a great looking roo, whatever he is!! :)

18. earlyt89

earlyt89 New Member

Well thank you very much. I thought he was gorgeous. And he was free. Lol

19. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

sounds like you did this elderly woman a favor taking all those birds! you are happy and she is happy, what more could anyone ask for?!?! thanks for sharing ALL those pics, too!!!