Identify and gender please

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by sarahjanelutz, Aug 18, 2012.

1. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

here are some pictures of my chickens. Can anyone tell me what breed these are (may be a group of inbreeds) and also opinions as to gender would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Apyl

Apyl New Member

How old are they? The striped one is a Barred Rock.

3. cogburn

cogburn New Member

The "Rock" looks like it may have feathered feet.. Does it? Also age? Are they all the same age? Looking at combs and wattles at this age, as well as tail feathers are the deciding factors in sexing chix.. And on the roost it's hard to tell breed, you really go by color only.. Which sometimes is enough, but "action" pix, (walking, scratching, pecking) help in determining gender/breed.

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Goin by these pics, I'd say 2 cockerels.. The rock and the first pic white chick.

5. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

They are approximately12 weeks. Yes I thought it was a Bard and it does have feathered feet. The white one you think is a male and this one seem to spend a lot of time giving each other the stink eye and dancing about. I know I can't keep two roosters. Which one would you nix?

6. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

Approximately 12 weeks.

7. Jeremysbrinkman

Jeremysbrinkman New Member

Looks like the one on the ground is a black copper maran

8. cogburn

cogburn New Member

The Barred Plymouth Rock w feathered feet will be a Cochin small Banty Rooster.. If the white one is full size then advantage goes to white, he will kick the Bantys butt early and often. If your pullets are full size keep full size rooster, if they are Bantys keep Banty rooster. That's my opinion.

9. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

looks like a "mixed breed flock" to me!!!:D

10. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

You are probably right. How will that effect the egg laying?

11. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Many "mixed breeds" turn out to be be very good layers provided the crosses were good layers to begin with! Red-Stars, Golden Comets and a host of other "Sex-link" chickens are nothing more than crosses or "mixed breeds" and tend to be outstanding layers!

12. sarahjanelutz

sarahjanelutz New Member

Now that I have done some checking I think you are right for three and wrong for the other three. But I am not sure a Ohio Buckeye and an Oregon Duck will ever see eye to eye :>)