Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hens and a rooster. All 3 are about 18 weeks old. I just picked up 3 new hens from the same farm. These ladies are about 20 weeks old. I placed the 3 new girls in the coop after dark. Things weren't too bad the first day, everyone kept to opposite sides of the run and all went in to roost at night. The 2nd and 3rd day I noticed my barred rock was chasing the new girls and pecking at them. The 3rd day the rooster was, I'm not sure, maybe trying to get between them. This morning there was a ruckus and I went to find some blood in the coop. Still don't know who it's from. My buff is starting to sneeze, I think it's stress. She does not get involved in the drama. Today (day 4) I sectioned off some of the run and separated them. All I have for the new girls is a dog kennel, is that adequate enough? Will some apple cider vinegar in the water help with any stressed induced illness?

I know they need to work out a pecking order. I just wasn't happy about seeing blood.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well so much for separating them. Went out to shut them up to find the 3 newbies had hopped the fence & were in the coop. Ughhh....

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
How big in that dog kennel ? It doesnt look big enough for 6 chickens. There could be a space issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dog crate is temporary housing for the 3 new girls. They huddle right up in there with no issues. They do fine together. The original 3 have access to the coop. It's my original barred rock who is the trouble maker.

clarification: did you mean the the fenced in dog run or the crate?

I don't know the sq footage but the run is made up of 5 10ft sections of fencing with the coop inside and they would be allowed to free range after I had them all together for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I was talking about the kennel itself not the dog crate. The chain link kennel looks very small. I was only asking because chickens will pick other chickens when the enclosures are to small. They will continue to pick the victim until bloody or dead until the space issue is resolved.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Yep...too small an area and too small of a coop for 6 standard birds. Extend that area and leave them together..it's too late to really separate them now and it's only delaying the pecking order. You have BRs who are more aggressive then BOs, so there is always going to be some dominance of one over the other.

You'll also need a much bigger coop...that little box isn't fit for bird life. Might make a good dog house, though.

As for the sneezing...no, apple cider vinegar will not help with that, but it can never hurt to keep it in the water at all times, just to provide an acid environment that will discourage disease transmission via the water. It can also provide some vitamins and minerals, boost their immune system, as well as make your eggs taste way better.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How big is the coop inside? How many hens will you have total? Not trying to pry but I had a space issue when I first got some chickens. I bought a tractor that was labeled for 6-8 hens. I bought my hens and put them inside. I bought 5 and then another. They almost killed that pullet in 20 min. I learned now that I have a big coop that the tractor wasn't even big enough for 2 chickens. I only used that tractor 2 weeks. I could see immediately that it was no life for any animal. They hardly had room to move. It was terrible. 5-6 ft per bird is my limit. And always build bigger than you think you may need. You will get more chickens! Min have about 10 sq ft per bird now. Room for babies in the spring!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would let them out to free range (maybe add a run later) and use the entire dog kennel for the coop. Get a big tarp to help cover it and either convert the dog house to nesting boxes or get a good dog to protect the flock.

edit.. oops.. though that coop was a dog house.. use it for nests.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts