Chicken Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just won 3 week old chicks. My birds were all brought straight to the coop in the Spring at 6 weeks and older. What the heck do I do with babies and how/when do I integrate them with my others?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Get them in a brooder and get them a heat source, chick feed, and water.
Just curious but why in the world did you enter a contest for chicks if you weren't prepared?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Put them in a cardboard box!! Then a light. Food, water, grass underneath them or paper towels! Make sure the light is the right temperature

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Get them in a brooder and get them a heat source, chick feed, and water.
Just curious but why in the world did you enter a contest for chicks if you weren't prepared?
You never really expect to win, do ya? If it's something that eats and poops, I'll win. If it's something that can keep me living somewhere tropical with a Rum buzz the rest of my life, naw, I won't win that. But I still try!!!

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You never really expect to win, do ya? If it's something that eats and poops, I'll win. If it's something that can keep me living somewhere tropical with a Rum buzz the rest of my life, naw, I won't win that. But I still try!!!
Pretty much....I NEVER win anything until today. Lol We hatched quail a few years ago for a 4H project for my son. My brother has the homemade brooder we used for them (Rubbermaid box with a lightbulb socket). He has a bigger grow out box that he used for his and our quail when we merged the chicks. I'm guessing I can use all that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
fuzziebutt said:
We have got to meet!!

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of chicks did you win?
A silver laced wyandotte, a gold laced wyandotte, and a barred rock. Which is great because they're all kinds I've been drooling over. Lol

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice selection! What you do to win these? Sounds fun! Sorry, just curious minded... Lol
A local poultry person did a Facebook contest for Easter chicks. Who knew I'd get picked?! Lol

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Oh fun, congrats! This past Xmas. Petco's Facebook page had a "what is your pets wish list?" So I was bored and replied that mines wanted treats. I get a reply to my post saying Petco would like to send me a little something. A week later I got a $50 gift card to Petco in the mail. Cool!

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh fun, congrats! This past Xmas. Petco's Facebook page had a "what is your pets wish list?" So I was bored and replied that mines wanted treats. I get a reply to my post saying Petco would like to send me a little something. A week later I got a $50 gift card to Petco in the mail. Cool!
Dang! That's awesome!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
A silver laced wyandotte, a gold laced wyandotte, and a barred rock. Which is great because they're all kinds I've been drooling over. Lol
Nice mix!!! The wyandottes are going to be so pretty! I've never had one but they're very striking looking. I have 3 barred rocks. You're going to love the friendliness. Tillie talks my ear off whenever I'm around. :D She also demanding of occasional lap time. Of course, I have to oblige. What kind of chicken mom would I be if I didn't indulge them once in awhile. ;)

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice mix!!! The wyandottes are going to be so pretty! I've never had one but they're very striking looking. I have 3 barred rocks. You're going to love the friendliness. Tillie talks my ear off whenever I'm around. :D She also demanding of occasional lap time. Of course, I have to oblige. What kind of chicken mom would I be if I didn't indulge them once in awhile. ;)
I love talking to my birds. I tucked them in every night in the coop and talk to each one.

·
NC Chicken Mama
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brought the newbies home today. All set up and cozy

Amber Wood Heat Formation Geological phenomenon

Nose Head Smile Eye Mouth

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts