Pheasants I Need Some Advice For Starting With Pheasants

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by DecisiveWinner, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DecisiveWinner

DecisiveWinner New Member

So I've been deciding to keep a breed of gamebirds in my yard for a while. Out of nowhere I randomly think of Partridges and Pheasants. Now I must choose one. If you guys could recommend perhaps which one might be easier for starters to keep I'd appreciate it. I'm not trying to just bankrupt myself all of a sudden, Probably will keep 5 for the start to see if I can handle them. With that being said I'm still in doubt. I believe I have room for a few birds, I could fence up and enclose all of my garden filled with trees and plants, making it quite similar to the birds natural habitat. But now feeding is the real problem, what should I feed pheasants or chukar partridges? If you're answer is game bird feed, are there any replacements for it? Will I have any problem with the birds illness even in low numbers and some extra info if you think I should know... Thanks.

Poultry Judge likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

For both you'll have to have the top enclosed because they will return to the wild.

If Gamebird is unavailable to you you can supplement with mealworms to meet their protein needs.

DecisiveWinner and Poultry Judge like this.

3. danathome

danathome Active Member

Moistened dry dog food will help increase the protein levels that game birds need. I mix it with mash for most of my birds who require more protein than what regular chicken mashes have. Make sure the top/roof is very flexible;when startled pheasants/partridges will fly up and fast and will brain themselves on roofs with no give.

What kind of pheasants are you thinking? Ring necks? If you don't plan on releasing and hunting there are a number of pheasant species that are far more beautiful than rings. Personally, I'm fascinated with Golden Pheasants.

DecisiveWinner likes this.
  4. DecisiveWinner

Thank you. Yes I do know that they are quite the escapists and can fly quite far away. I will have it's roof closed up. Thank you for you're help. Any othet advice is appreciated!

5. DecisiveWinner

Yes, I'm not raising them to release and hunt them. And really wanted to raise either golden or copper pheasants(I really like their red copper like color). Could you please include what other grains (mix of grains) I can use for pheasants? (Let's assume I want to buy all the raw grains from the store and make the feed myself). Thank you!

6. DecisiveWinner

I will most likely use plastic wire mesh for the walls and the roof. Would that be alright? They will have plenty of room in their habitat and I will try to make it look as natural as I can (for example a dirt floor with a lot of plants and polar berry trees and vegetables.)

7. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

If it's the plastic netting, that's what most folks here use. I would start with a gamebird chow, mixing your own grains is a lot of work, plus the commercial brands have all the vitamins and supplement package.

8. danathome

danathome Active Member

If the wire is flexible it should work well. Make sure it is strong to keep predators from ripping a hole in it. I just replaced the netting covering part of my homer loft for that reason. As to grains pheasants can have-about the same as chickens, but be sure their main diet is higher in protein; birds do not necessarily eat what is good for them and will eat what they like. Too many foods that are not nutritional is not a good idea to give them.

robin416 and DecisiveWinner like this.
  9. DecisiveWinner

What would be a replacemn
    What about insects in their habitat? Ants, bees, beetles and spiders that live in the very place they will roam around, a fair number of bees and limitless ants. And we've planted corns and sunflowers so they might eat the seeds and also have vegetables, polar berry and grape trees. I believe these foods will not harm them will they? And for the most time of the year they can even eat on their own. And by the way thank you for you're help

10. danathome

danathome Active Member

This all sounds great. I only meant to not feed any one thing that the pheasants love in abundance. For instance, my turkeys love cooked noodles (that have little nutritional value) and would eat just the noodles if I allowed them to. They would not stay healthy for long.

11. robin416

Somewhere I saw where catfish pellets are a good protein enhancement. Is it? Not sure, it would take some investigating to confirm that.

12. DecisiveWinner

I don't know... I had heard that some people in pheasant production mix up lamb meat and dough with their grains and food to make it high protein, but again that would need some investigation and experience as well.

13. DecisiveWinner

Yes. Most birds tend to do that. And what species do you suggest me to buy? Whuch would be the hardiest species that could survive a cold snowy winter or hot dry summer? Unfortunately where I live I get both of the above.

14. danathome

danathome Active Member

You've posted you'd like golden or copper pheasants.
    As to weather hardiness I cannot say on the copper. Goldens are pretty durable, but there again, do some research and see which specie best fits you area.

15. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I feed a few catfish pellets as a protein supplement for the ducks, noone else really eats them.

16. robin416

Geese like them too. We had a pair of Canada Geese that nested in the pond outside the backdoor of our office. We'd feed them catfish pellets several times a day. It's a wonder they could fly.

Poultry Judge likes this.