I need help with a breed

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by MrsRoeder2011, Oct 26, 2012.

1. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

I just bought this rooster at a auction and i got a show hen with him and i believe he is one to but im not sure on the breed, help me

Attached Files:

2. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

I don't have an answer for you but he is just beautiful! What a mix of colors & patterns! She's a cutie too. Going to be a very pretty girl. How old are they?

3. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

i dont know i got them at a auction yesterday

4. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

I'm thinking old english game birds, though I wouldn't know the color pattern.

5. Bird_slave

Bird_slave Junior Member

Okay, using the door hinge as a reference for size, scratch the OEGB (too large). Honestly, he looks alot like a phoenix cross I once had. The hen also phoenix or a phoenix cross.

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Flocker

And the length of the spurs look to be born possibly early this spring. Tailfeathers are beautiful, almost like a Japanese.

7. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

They look similar to a Cream Legbar http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Auto/BRKAutosex.html so it's possible this is a Leghorn x Barred Rock. That's how the Cream Legbar was developed. They do appear to have a nice crele color patter. It will be intersting to see if they breed true. This may be one of the auto-sexing breeds meaning that you can tell the sex of the chicks at hatch. The males will likely have a white spot on their heads and the females will have a chipmunk stripe pattern, if they are.

8. mcderry1967

mcderry1967 New Member

He sure is pretty. Reminds me of a friends Olde Game Birds.

9. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Look like "game fowl" to me, or at least a game fowl cross of sorts.....does the rooster get along with other males or does he just want to fight??? be careful because if he is "game" he might kill other males!!!

10. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

he's the only rooster in my flock and yes if there was a nother rooster he would fight

11. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

Can anyone tell what breed he is pleases I got him for free

ForumRunner_20121120_190215.jpg

ForumRunner_20121120_190149.png

12. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Looks like a "game"....go do a google search on "brassy back gamefowl" and look at those images?!?!

13. carolyn28

carolyn28 New Member

he is either an old english gamebird or a japanese mix(my hunch)