I need help bad!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by MrsRoeder2011, Oct 2, 2012.

1. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

I am in need of someones advice about my chicken, she had got out of her caged area and got out in the road and got hit and ended up loosing her back feather and the side of her face scratch up and had ear problems and then after a 2 week posses, she finally healed up but her right side ear closed up and this has been about a month ago and now i just check on her and now she has a marble size bump on the side of her face and i tried to open up her ear but all it done was start bleeding so i stopped that and now i don't know what to do about this............Is this a serious thing? I'm in need of your all's help BAD, we don't have a vet here for livestock like this and so i had to resort to this, so please let me know, i don't want to loose her......So let me know thank you!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
  2. teddy

teddy Scrambled Eggs

These thing happen. Sorry to here it. She may survive it, but she may be suffering also.

3. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

Well she don't seem to be suffering she acts like the rest of the chickens do and when u touch it....it doesn't bother her but I don't know

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Sounds like an abscess or seroma. Seroma is just a collection of clear fluid under tissue that will generally heal over time. It will reorganize back into normal tissue. If its an abscess, then that is usually an infection that has been "walled off" by the body. So it's not in her system (systemic) but it is local (specific area) in the tissue. Sometimes abscesses will "ripen" and rupture out draining pus and smelly, rotten debris. Sometimes they just sort of dry up and leave a hard lump or scar. If there is a vet who will see her post trauma (hit by car - HBC) then they might be able to aspirate the lesion and tell you better what it contains. Talk to them over the phone first so that you don't waste time and money on an unrewarding appointment. Don't think she will die, just not sure what to tell you to do. How about posting a pic for me?

5. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

Ok here are some pictures of her

6. WeeLittleChicken

WeeLittleChicken Active Member

That looks like an abscess to me. If it is you can get a warm wet wash cloth and soak it for a few minutes a few times a day - this will soften the scabby tissue and eventually it should pop open like a bad zit. Then you'll be left with the task of trying to make sure all that nasty puss and fluid is out while trying not to vomit from the smell (it'll smell like nothing you've smelled before!) Abscesses that don't pop usually have to be lanced and drained by someone who knows how to do that - you shouldn't have that big of an issue finding a vet who'll do that, even on a chicken since its such a common procedure and doesn't require special knowledge or anesthetics or anything like that. Good luck!

7. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

ok thank you ill try that and see what happens, but the only bad thing is i done called my local vet and they wont do nothing to the chicken they told me that they dont specialize in live stock like that so, it looks like ill be doing it my self but it dosent sound that hard thank you very much

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Call them back and tell them it's probably an abscess. They may work with you if they know that. Like wee says, abscesses are not that difficult to deal with. Call them back and see what they say before you feel like you're all alone in this.

9. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

To be honest ... I don't see the problem ... sorry.

10. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

ok Energyvet ill call them in the morning and see what they say about it and i hope ur right i hope that they will do it for me :) that would be great i will defently let u know thank you

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Cool. I'll keep checking back. Sometimes the front desk makes decisions for the vet that the vet either doesn't know about or doesn't agree with. It could be just a communication issue. Good luck!

12. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

ok thank you and ill be back on here :)

13. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

ok Energyvet, i just called them and explained what was going on and that i had a abscess on my chickens face and asked if she could just take it off and all i got was.....Im sry we dont do chickens. SOOO im alone in this, so ill have to do it myself, but all that i need to do is warm water and a rage, and do that for a few days?

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

That might work out . If you need any couching just PM me and we can work on it together. Anything we need to share, we can do so retrospectively.

15. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

Ok good thank u I will take u up on that and I may do it starting next week I'm a little busy right now but do u think warm water and rubbing it would make turn to likea a pimple so all I would have to do is pop it and then clean it really good

16. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Not sure. Really depends on where it is, the wall of the abscess, the time frame, the birds immune system. So many variables. I'm thinking like 50 % chance that's all you need to do. Worth a try, but not completely convinced that will solve your problem. Sorry if you don't like that answer. Just speaking from experience.

17. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

Ok well please tell me what u think I need to do I'm open to any opinion that you have

18. patlet

patlet New Member

Warm water compress to the ear. It looks like her ear was damaged but not enough to make her wobbly. Get your hands on some icthammol. It's black, fishy smelling but great for drawing out abscesses. Can be finger applied. Otherwise, how do you feel about injecting penicillin? There is oral and in-the-water antibiotics too but be sure to isolate her if you use the water soluble kind. We prefer injectable since its very specific and works quickly. If your hen becomes unsteady, the infection has spread to her inner ear. Try to avoid this. Do not try to express the infection as you can do more damage than good.

19. MrsRoeder2011

MrsRoeder2011 New Member

okay thank you that was very helpful I'll try that and I'm not sure about the shot idea I'm not good with needles so I'm going to stick with the water and tag idea or that he black fishy stuff u told me about......where can u get that stuff at that u rub on