I have a new preditor

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by 1948daydreamer, Dec 25, 2012.

1. 1948daydreamer

1948daydreamer New Member

I missed one of my hens day before yesterday,and after looking for evidence,I found where something grabbed her. Whatever it was took her from about thirty feet from my front door,about 2 in the afternoon. Then carried her about 20 feet away under a large cedar tree,and left only a pile of feathers,and her head. I then followed a small trail of feathers through the fence and around the house and out the back. I wasn't home at the time,but my wife said the chickens were making a lot of racket about 2 o'clock,so I'm pretty sure that's when it happened. I spent the day yesterday guarding the flock. This was a pretty brave critter,killing a chicken,and eating it right in my front yard. I can see where it went through the fence,but can't make out any tracks. What leaves only feathers,and the head? I'm thinking it had to be a fox,but they are usually pretty shy around here.

2. 1948daydreamer

Update. Boy that was fast. I set my live trap last night,and this morning I have a large ferrel cat in it. Could a cat eat a whole chicken? Bones and all? I just don't know if this is the culprit or not. This was a small bantam,probably didn't weigh more than 1 pound.

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

A hungry cat could eat most of a Banty. Especially a large Tom or a pregnant Queen. Sorry you lost your little chicky.

4. 1948daydreamer

Well,this morning I have a large angry opossum in my live trap. More critters around than I suspected. I will relocate this critter 20 miles or so from here,and hope he/she doesn't find his/her way back here. Will reset the trap and see whats next.

5. rob

rob New Member

getting quite the collection going lol

6. chickflick

chickflick New Member

I would "take care" of the opossum rather than relocating it. You might just be giving someone else the problem.

7. 1948daydreamer

Hey Chickflick,I took the possum out to the Gulf Hammock Nature Center,and released it. Not a house or residence around for probably 10 miles in any direction. Nothing out there but planted pines,hiking trails,and weekend birdwatchers. About 17 miles from here. I don't think it will bother anyone out there. I am setting the trap again tonight.

8. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Good job!! I'm glad. Driving down my road one day, there was a lady releasing a huge opossum just a few houses down from me. Boy, was I angry! :mad: Sounds like the nature center is perfect.

9. 1948daydreamer

Forgot to spring the trap this morning. Caught another beast. My Ninja rooster. Nothing harmed but his pride. I didn't even know he liked tuna.

10. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Lol. That's funny... Can you post a pic of your live trap?

11. chickflick

chickflick New Member

They love tuna!! You should see how wild my hens get over can cat food!

12. rob

rob New Member

realy? cat food ?

13. 1948daydreamer

Here is a pic of my live trap. Got it at Tractor supply,with a smaller one included for around $20.

Attached Files:

14. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Yes, cat food!! Love, love, love it.

15. rob

rob New Member

ill have to give that a go then.

16. chickflick

chickflick New Member

Good protein for them too, especially during molt.

17. ES009

ES009 New Member

That sounds like a coyote, there one of the few that do that to there pray.
    You may need a bigger trap.

E/S

18. 1948daydreamer

The yard where the chicken was taken is fenced with field fencing. No evidence that anything dug under or climbed over the fence,and a coyote is too big to fit through the squares. Had to be,and probably was that ferrel cat. No problems since it went to cat heaven.