Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least I thought they were hens-I have 3 more ckns I'm not sure if they are Hens or Roos-can u help me? #1-Hen or Roo? #2-Hen or Roo? #3-Hen or Roo?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
It's hard to tell from your pics but I see mostly roos, the upside down and blurry pics I cant tell. . If you have a rooster killing and birds that rooster needs to go. Butcher , get it a new home, ect.

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
Pics from them standing quietly are needed since these are mixed breed birds. We need to see them from the side, relaxed.

If these birds were all together and not new additions then I heartily agree with Apyl about the future of that roo. If they are new to the group and just got dumped in to the group then that is what triggered the male's attacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have had all the black ckns from chicks--we have gotten more ckn including the killer Roo-and now they have all reached maturity around the same time--so now I have all of these chickens who are turning out to be Roos. I understand the nature of Roos killing one another-however all these ckns have been together and all get along until a week ago! The first time I thought it may have been the chochin Roo mating too rough and breaking their necks-the second time he was caught on the blk ckn and I scared him off--later blk ckn dead-Killer Roo is targeting the blk ckns-I just need to know if he is doing his "natural" thing Killing Roos-or rough mating-or serial chicken killer!
Killer Roo is my favorite of all-he come to me, chills out in porch swing on my lap-lets anyone hold him touch his waddles-he's great-but he's a killer :(

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
We have had all the black ckns from chicks--we have gotten more ckn including the killer Roo-and now they have all reached maturity around the same time--so now I have all of these chickens who are turning out to be Roos. I understand the nature of Roos killing one another-however all these ckns have been together and all get along until a week ago! The first time I thought it may have been the chochin Roo mating too rough and breaking their necks-the second time he was caught on the blk ckn and I scared him off--later blk ckn dead-Killer Roo is targeting the blk ckns-I just need to know if he is doing his "natural" thing Killing Roos-or rough mating-or serial chicken killer!
Killer Roo is my favorite of all-he come to me, chills out in porch swing on my lap-lets anyone hold him touch his waddles-he's great-but he's a killer :(
It is not natural for Roos to want to kill each other. A pecking order is natural but definitely not killing . I currently have 5 roosters in my flock, each has their place in the pecking order and none try to kill each other.

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
I'm going to suggest that you pull what you think is the offending bird out. If it continues then you've got something else going on.

From the sound of it, you're not around when things are happening and can not be absolutely certain this is occurring. You should be seeing feathers and tissue damage if they are being attacked.

I agree with Apyl, something is wrong here. I've got boys living together with an occasional tussle but nothing like you think is going on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts