Ducks I got some more feathered babies today.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, Mar 7, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I got to mow in front of the house and never saw a feather or a head. So, even though they are not big fans of the mower she was OK as long as I maintained the distance I did. Don't know why they don't like the mower, they used to get in the way of the tractor all of the time going after bugs that got kicked up.

Could is the operative word. I won't mess with most of the plumbing anymore either. I guess truth be told, I've got enough on my plate not adding that into the mix too.

2. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Maybe it' the sound of it,who knows. I've had animals that were scared of the crack of a little .22 rifle but not the big boom of a 12 gauge. Animals learn things too,I've had ducks learn to go where I just mowed because of the freshly cut grass and they know I won't run over them. When I get behind them they don't go nuts,they just walk out of my way and if I'm just 1 or 2 laps from them sometimes they just lay there and watch me go by.

Oh,we not only have a Hopalong but we also have a Mr. 1 leg ;).

I'm not doing some stuff I use to do but electrical I will and I'll do plumbing if it's in the house and not needing brazed. I don't know how to braze and my big gut won't fit under the house.

3. robin416

The Guineas weren't afraid of the noise from any firearm. I had to be careful because suddenly Guineas would start pounding feet to where I was if they heard a gun go off. They wanted to know what I was shooting at so they could get in on the excitement.

Chickens hate the power equipment. My dogs didn't care for it either.

I'm picturing the ducks watching you planning how long it's going to take for you to make them move. And whether they're going to waddle off or race like the wind. ,

4. 444lover

444lover Active Member

We had a Dachshund years ago that loved the mower,it would run along the side of it barking and biting at the grass flying out. After it started getting to close to the deck I started yelling at it to get because I didn't want her to get hurt. She also loved fireworks,she would roll around on them after they went off. Once she went too early and scorched her hair,she had a black mark on her side for a long time. It didn't phase her though,she kept doing it. We had to start holding her back.

Sometimes the ducks wait until I'm almost to them then they'll get up and sometimes start walking in front of me for a little while before they move to the side,I have to slow way down and keep stopping so I don't hit them,they never get in a hurry.

5. robin416

Got a giggle out of the dog but it also got an oh my too. Except for the firecrackers that's about like my Guinea flock with the tractor and guns. I can see the pup having a ball catching the grass but the firecracker thing is an eye opener.

My Guineas will do something similar to the ducks, get in front of my truck and lead the way. But I can't see them so I have no clue where they are.

And why are the ducks not behind the mower? That's where most of the good stuff is.

6. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah Brandy was a fun and crazy acting dog at times,she use to make love to her stuffed bear too and she liked it rough :D. She tore 1 up after awhile so we had to get her another 1.:D

They usually go where I've already mowed but sometimes they lay down or root around in areas I haven't mowed yet too. When I mow around the pond and it throws it out on the pond they usually head out there and help the grass carp eat it up.

7. 444lover

444lover Active Member

The goslings are already starting to get a little bossy. They started chasing off the ducks last night and trying to keep them from the food after I put them in. I told the Mrs I may have to get rid of them,that I wondered if I got them if it would work out,it was just a trial.

8. robin416

Start looking for new owners now before the rush for Spring babies is over.

9. 444lover

444lover Active Member

They're not quite babies anymore,they're half grown :D.

10. robin416

If you sold them as a group you could make enough to feed the others for months.

11. 444lover

444lover Active Member

You must be thinking I could get a lot more of them than I do :eek::p:D.

If I go that route,which I haven't decided yet what I'll do with them if anything,it would be more like,"you want "em,come and get 'em".

12. robin416

Do you realize that even with some amount of hassle you could have some extra for taking care of the birds? I didn't sell non stop, I sold when I was over burdened or had the birds that I needed. I sold hatching eggs. That all went to covering the cost of raising the feathered ones.

It's not the amount of hassle you seem to think it is.

13. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I want theeeemmmmmm *sobs*

14. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Come and get them.:D

15. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I figure if they get to be too much of a hassle I'll either cook them up or give them away. I've never sold animals,in fact I rarely sell anything. If I don't want something and somebody else does they're welcome to it. Shoot,I don't even charge people for work I do for them like working on vehicles or adding outlets in their house or whatever. They pay for the parts but no charge for the labor,I like helping people.

Sylie likes this.