Ducks I got some more feathered babies today.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by 444lover, Mar 7, 2020.

1. 444lover

444lover Active Member

We went to Rural King today and got 3 Khaki Campbell and 3 Rouen ducklings today. I also ordered 6 African Grey goose eggs for hatching.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations, I think. Rural King is a dangerous place to go in.

For those that don't know which is which, which is which?

3. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Rural King is a dangerous place??? You mean for getting blocked in the parking lot?? I made sure I parked so I could get back in ;).

The all brown ones are the Khakis,the ones with black and brown are the Rouens,they'll grow up to look almost identical to Mallards. Even though I think the Khakis look quite a bit like Mallards when they grow up. They have Mallard in their bloodline too just like the Rouens.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaki_Campbell
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouen_duck

4. robin416

I haven't had that issue yet. It's all the stuff they have in there, including the feathered offerings.

OK, so the little ones will end up with patterns as they get their adult feathers. I guess when I hear khaki campbell I think they're going to be a solid khaki color. But them most of the names they have for chicken colors don't make sense to me either.

5. robin416

Those were good pics to see how they'll look as adults. The Rouens really do look like Mallards. I'm guessing the Khaki are because the female really are more all khaki colored than the males.

You think those birds are weird looking? Runners are really strange looking to me. :)

6. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I think you're right about the color,I remember they were talking about the Khaki color in the description.
    I was talking about the chicken in the pictures.:D
    [​IMG]

7. robin416

I know you were, I was turning it back on you for mentioning the weird birds by mentioning runners. So there. :p

8. 444lover

444lover Active Member

When did I mention runners?:confused:

9. robin416

You didn't, I did. You were picking on the funny looking chickens so I picked on the funny looking ducks.

10. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Ah I see. I was actually making fun of whoever put the pictures together because it was suppose to be of Khaki drakes not all sorts of ducks and especially a chicken,not that the chicken itself was funny looking. Whoever did it,needs to know the difference between a duck and chicken ;) :D.

11. robin416

That's a scary thought if they can't tell the difference. Wonder if the idea wasn't to sell other birds while describing Khakis.

12. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Probably,or they just didn't have enough Khaki pictures,it's hard to tell.

13. robin416

Did you see the post where someone is asking about keeping chickens and ducks together? You might want to give your two cents on that question.

14. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I did,basically just agreed with you.

The geese eggs are suppose to be here tomorrow,I need to get my incubator ready today,fun fun :D.

15. robin416

Uh, goose eggs? I don't think you mentioned those.

Speaking of geese, what's the story on the CGs?

16. 444lover

444lover Active Member

Yeah I mentioned it in my first post in this thread. I was wanting something different but the only ones I could find other than Africans were ones that could fly and we decided against those. These are African greys instead of browns though. If these wound up being mostly or all males,I'll be paying the extra to buy sexed goslings and ducklings from now on. I can get a bigger variety that way too. They just don't seem to sell a big variety of eggs,at least that I see.

Well the CG haven't been here for a week or so. I saw them down at my other neighbor's,not Fred's,last week. I know he don't like geese but because he knows they're mine he lets them slide instead of scaring them off usually. After a few days I called but he was busy so I told his wife if he wanted to try and scare them off that I didn't care,since they're barely here. He called back and jokingly asked if I wanted to come and get my geese. I told him there wasn't any way for me to catch them and even if I did they'd probably go back down there. He agreed and said they'd been there about a week. The next day I heard them over at Fred's. I don't know if he scared them off or not. He said that whenever he tried they'd just swim around on the pond. I said yeah,they're completely tame. I told him how I could call Quackers home from Fred's and how he followed me around,he couldn't get over it.

17. robin416

You did, didn't you? I just completely ignored it when I saw the pics of cute babies.

Fingers crossed they stay away. I don't want you to have to take care of them or have them harassing your domestic birds.

18. 444lover

444lover Active Member

I agree for the most part but I do enjoy Quackers,as long as he behaves himself. But if he don't then I don't want him around. I hear goose tastes good though :D.
    But I also hear duck tastes good ;),which I'll probably be finding out soon because I'll probably put Hop Along,the crippled drake,down. I figure he may cause trouble some with the ducklings when they get old enough to go to the pond or even when they can go out to the pen. Since he usually stays by the building they may stay with him. When I'm ready to just let them into the pen he won't be able to get back in for food or water either. Yesterday was the first time this year he made it to the pond and even with the water up he couldn't get out. I had to help him out and then carry him to the building because he didn't want to walk.All that swimming probably wore his legs out. I was surprised the others left him there by himself but they were already in the building.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  19. robin416

Which makes having to make a tough choice all that much harder. You don't want your domestic animals to suffer because of the wild critters can't get it through their heads they have to behave a certain way.

You would think water therapy would help Hop Along develop his leg muscles.