Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to this community. I was planning on getting chickens in the near future but it now seems I own my first chicken. I've been around chickens just never owned one myself. While driving home I found this chicken alongside the road it let me pick it up and take it home (I'm guessing it was dropped because no one on this road owns any chickens that look like this) I made it a secure enclosure in my garden and for now it's sleeping in a dog crate at night in the garden.
My main question is it a hen or rooster? It's been very quiet in the mornings so I'm leaning toward hen but no eggs so far I've had it about a week now. Each day it's looking healthier and happier. Any ideas of possible age?
Wondering if or how long I should wait before I introduce another chicken to it and any recommendations of what breed to get.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Bird Beak Phasianidae Galliformes Poultry
Bird Beak Feather Galliformes Phasianidae
Bird Beak Organism Dog breed Carnivore
Feather Natural material Fur Event Dog breed

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you yes I have been thinking about a little trim so it can see better. Would you think it's a hen. It's the quietest chicken I've been around it clucks when I enter or try to catch it but otherwise pretty quiet.
I will start looking for it a buddy as soon as I enclose more of my garden so they will have more room to roam eat bugs. I am feeding it recommended chicken food from a local farm supply but hoping it will also enjoy the bugs in the garden.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
The sooner the better in getting a buddy. Chickens are flock animals, being alone is hard on them psychologically.

Also, check the legs. Do you know what scaly leg mites are? It's hard to tell from the pic but the one toe I can see looks rather fat. For Silkies I used Ivermectin pour on, 1/4 cc to the back of the neck. That will take care of the mites if it has them.

That's a tough one on sex since there are not any of the markers you see in normal Silkies to determine sex. The not crowing is a good sign.

· Super Moderator
4,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Kudos on rescuing the silkie. There are lots of helpful folks here.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems so much happier now that he has his new girlfriends. Is there any way of guesstimating his age when I found him he must of been molting because he now has beautiful feathers which he didn't have when I first got him. He was pretty bad off when I found him he is now looking and acting so much happier and for a rooster he is very friendly he doesn't mind being held

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
He did look awful when you found him. But now he's really blossomed into a pretty handsome guy. Whoever dumped him knew you had a tender heart.

There is and it isn't easy to read. A bird's legs can tell their age. If your girls will let you do a good look at their legs compare what you see from them to his legs. The younger the bird, the neater looking the skin is on the legs. Like I said, it's not easy to tell.

And thank you so much for the update and the pics. So few bother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts