I don't know

Discussion in 'Parasites, Pests, & Predators' started by rwilly, Dec 30, 2012.

1. rwilly

rwilly New Member

I have something tunneling into the coop from the adjoining storage shed. It digs under the dividing wall, I have set two rat traps right near the tunnel entrances with no luck. Rats are very common here, they come after the dog food and I'm sure the chicken feed too. I try to keep everything clean.

But what is driving me crazy is, tonight I set out one of those old timey critter traps, I've always called them bear traps even though they are small for like a raccoon or something. I baited it with an apple slice, partially buried it under dirt then topped it off with straw. You could only see portions of the apple if you knew what to look for. I placed it right near the tunnel entrance in the coop, one hour later the tunnel has been backfilled!! Whatever the critter, he is a smart one. It's probably just a rat, and I will get him eventually. But Cheese and Crackers, he is wily.
    I might have to nail his hide to the shed, Fred.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm curios too. I'm having a similar experience.

3. rwilly

rwilly New Member

I haven't caught it yet, but it is just a regular rat. I put my game camera in the coop and got his pic. I'm calling him Ben, until I catch him, then I'm calling him DEAD!

4. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Boy what a sneaky bugger you have! Hope you get him soon!

5. rob

rob New Member

rats are very clever creatures. i had one in my garden. i left a trap out and he wouldnt touch the bait. so i left an empty trap for a week then baited it and caught him the following day.

6. CharlieEcho

CharlieEcho Junior Member

Bait box;

We have bait boxes inside our barn and even one in the hen house. These are the enclosed kind we purchased at our farm supply store. Only small animals can get to the bait.

I refresh the bait the first of each month. I know they are eating it but we don't see the dead mice. No rats that we know of. I think once we even poisoned a mink. We did find the mink, but after it wiped us out las February.

7. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Haha. Gawd. I Hate rats

8. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Clever Rob! Nice.

9. rob

rob New Member

no they are not nice, just clever :)

10. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

:). I meant your tactic was 'nice' definitely not rats! Lol

11. rob

rob New Member

horrible creatures. scary as well :)

12. VickiGG

VickiGG New Member

Yep. Very. I'm scared of mice! So you can imagine how I am with rats.

13. rwilly

rwilly New Member

Still haven't got him.

But, today I get home to find one of our hens dead in the middle of the yard. The other chickens were scattered about hiding. Whatever attacked the hen, ate her neck. I don't think it was a dog, I have heard of a bobcat in the hood, but I doubt that too during the middle of the day. Most likely an Eagle, Hawk or an Owl?
    What would eat just the neck and part of her breast?

14. BuckeyeChickens

BuckeyeChickens New Member

Has it killed any chickens or eaten any eggs inside the coop???

Raccoons will often kill a chicken and only eat part of the neck but a mink will often kill and "cut" the neck but is mostly after the blood not the meat....your originsl post above almost sound like a mink since it didn't set the traps off (thay are small). My advice is go purchase an inexpensive "trail cam" (also called game cameras)....Wally World usually has some for under $50 and this can be set up either inside or outside the coop and take pics or videos of the intruder! This will help you determine the best way to catch whatever it is because minks can be trickier than coons and a fox can be another problem all together, too.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  15. rwilly

rwilly New Member

I did put a game camera inside the coop, only to find out it is just a rat. He must be an escapee from a science lab or something, he sure is smart. I bought two new traps yesterday thinking that the older traps smelled from all the previous rats that were caught.
    I haven't given up yet!

16. rwilly

rwilly New Member

It was a hawk that killed the hen yesterday, I saw it out there this morning.

17. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

Hawks are beautiful birds but they are evil to our girls. We have had a few die that way.

18. rwilly

rwilly New Member

I still havent caught this rat!

With the cold weather I had put a light in the coop so the hens could roost above it and get warm, I found that it also kept the rat away. The rat would normally have his big hole into the coop but with the light on he would only dig until he saw the light, he wouldnt come all the way into the coop. Tonight is the first night with the light off and sure enough the rat didnt waste anytime diggin in and gobbling up feed. I just can't seem to get this bugger. I dont want to poison because I wanna see evidence that he's dead.
    I just can't believe how crafty this guy is.....or maybe it's a gal?

19. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Could you make peace? Leave some food outside somewhere else? Lure it away from the coop? Or is that asking for trouble?

20. rwilly

rwilly New Member

I am going to try those smoke bombs that are used to poison moles. Maybe I can drive him out.