Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uhhhhh
How the hell did these get in my car and thus into my home? I have not a single clue….

There are 6. They are supposed to be sexed pullets all around. Fingers crossed someone did their job well!

I got
2 more Ameraucana (will see how that standard ends up, but cute colors!)
2 Sapphire star
1 cinnamon queen
1 mystery bc I can’t remember what I got black chick.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Once you get a certain number, a few more can blend right in. The hubby won’t notice right? Cause I haven’t told him yet and he’s gone to work!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so that one light colored one, kind of a buff, with the poofy cheeks… it got me. And then the sapphires. and I needed another 2 to meet quota. At least they should mostly be pullets. I don’t expect them to all be correctly sexed. That ain’t my luck….

Now let’s watch the little buff Ameraucana be a roo bc it’s my fave. No idea what color it’ll be. The other is like a greyish- brown and brown it looked pretty too. I made the guy chase it to pick it instead of black.

I’m excited. I expect the husband to be less so. The boys are thrilled, of course. We love having peeps around….

·
Administrator
21,848 Posts
Oh boy. Is a barn in your future? But I have to agree sweet sweet babies.

You're hooked alright and no one here is going to help you with your addiction.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hehehe I don’t exactly mind it.
And yes quite possibly! The overall plan has actually become to sell our home and buy land. So we also don’t wanna go all out on a structure if we are to leave it behind in another year or two; although of course they’ll get one just maybe not as elaborate as if we weren’t wanting to move. Many people who want ‘some land’ don’t want more than 10-20 acres, for various reasons. We want significantly more and are prepared to work it too, and that’s a…. maybe not dying breed anymore but not nearly enough left doing it. Even around here. So we shall see but yeah. A large flock and shelter is gonna be in order in the future. I’m halfway there already!

·
Administrator
21,848 Posts
Hehehe I don’t exactly mind it.
And yes quite possibly! The overall plan has actually become to sell our home and buy land. So we also don’t wanna go all out on a structure if we are to leave it behind in another year or two; although of course they’ll get one just maybe not as elaborate as if we weren’t wanting to move. Many people who want ‘some land’ don’t want more than 10-20 acres, for various reasons. We want significantly more and are prepared to work it too, and that’s a…. maybe not dying breed anymore but not nearly enough left doing it. Even around here. So we shall see but yeah. A large flock and shelter is gonna be in order in the future. I’m halfway there already!
Your options may be limited on that kind of acreage in VA. It might mean relocating to another state. I know here there are still large parcels that they don't want a million dollars for.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are still a lot of farm tracts in our region, which is perfect; 75-100 acres or so. Fits neatly in our budget also. The one spot we loved didn’t work out but it did open our eyes to the possibilities. Now that we know what we can do, we are kind of anxious to make it happen!

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are still a lot of farm tracts in our region, which is perfect; 75-100 acres or so. Fits neatly in our budget also. The one spot we loved didn’t work out but it did open our eyes to the possibilities. Now that we know what we can do, we are kind of anxious to make it happen!
I know once you start buying chickens, you can't stop!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’ve actually considered becoming an actual chicken farmer; there is a large market in my area for ethically free ranged etc grown chickens; for eggs and meat. Pretty sure I could be happy doing just that. Even raising meat birds as a separate flock and as a whole rather than the individuals I make out of mine.

I named one of the Sapphires this morning.
She shall be named Buckets. (Of the fuss- variety!)

·
Registered
190 Posts
I’ve actually considered becoming an actual chicken farmer; there is a large market in my area for ethically free ranged etc grown chickens; for eggs and meat. Pretty sure I could be happy doing just that. Even raising meat birds as a separate flock and as a whole rather than the individuals I make out of mine.

I named one of the Sapphires this morning.
She shall be named Buckets. (Of the fuss- variety!)
I have too! Though I don't have the land lol

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you! Me too. Hubbs hasn’t spotted them yet this morning. In fairness he has been busy so I didn’t want to bother him with it just yet… riiiight… hahahaha he will love them too once the shock wears off. Especially since they’re sexed and we shouldn’t get all roosters.

Of all the breeds I got home, the boys took to the cinnamon queen the fastest, and that buff Ameraucana second. They are cute…. Even if I doubt the Ameraucana’s perfections later in life! Ones’ cheeks are not too poofy yet. We shall see.

·
Super Moderator
3,804 Posts
Uhhhhh
How the hell did these get in my car and thus into my home? I have not a single clue….

There are 6. They are supposed to be sexed pullets all around. Fingers crossed someone did their job well!

I got
2 more Ameraucana (will see how that standard ends up, but cute colors!)
2 Sapphire star
1 cinnamon queen
1 mystery bc I can’t remember what I got black chick.
HaHaHaHaHa!!!

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wonder when hubs is going to take away her car keys.
Maybe once he gets his truck fixed!!!

ROFL!

Ps- also, he walked right past the peeping in the next room, bc I just moved one set or chickens out. Altho he saw the first ones outside it did not register- or that they were peeps and not ‘squonk’ hahaha

1 - 20 of 62 Posts