Chicken Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
How are they doing these days?
They're doing great!
Regarding Meyer Hatchery, I'm very torn about them. I'd gotten chicks occasionally from them for years and they had nothing but my utmost support. Then recently (well, within the past few years) they started to really push Lisa Steele and her products, and that lady rubs me the wrong way. That comes especially after she backhandedly called all people who own roosters stupid in a blog post that has since been edited to remove that little tidbit after the backlash she received about it. That was the last blog post I saw from her before unfollowing her, but from what I gather from other people's comments on her, her opinion hasn't changed regardless of the blog post changing. Meyer's is still the only national hatchery in driving distance for me, so I did get chicks from them this year despite that association, but they just announced a few days ago that they'll no longer carry my beloved Silver Gray Dorkings after this year, so there's another nail in the coffin. :( At this point, I'm not really sure how I feel about them anymore.
Oh wow. I never liked that Lisa lady. I didn't know about the whole rooster thing though. Just another thing I don't like.

That logic about the roosters is so flawed. Not everyone is in it for eggs. I don't even like eggs!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not always unfortunately. Have you seen what McMurray is selling as barred bantam cochins? 🤢

They look like OEGBs with yellow skin and slippers.

Bird Beak Phasianidae Chicken Comb
😲 Oh my goodness, he does look like an OEGB mix! Which.... not gonna lie, does look pretty cute :censored: But NOT as a Cochin bantam! He looks like a CB that put on his regular pants instead of his fluffy pants this morning :ROFLMAO:

They're doing great!

Oh wow. I never liked that Lisa lady. I didn't know about the whole rooster thing though. Just another thing I don't like.

That logic about the roosters is so flawed. Not everyone is in it for eggs. I don't even like eggs!
That's good! 😊

Yeah, she kinda comes off as, I don't know, fanatical? To me, anyway. I agree, though, I've never been a fan. I followed her and the Chicken Chick years and years ago not because I find either of them particularly well-versed with chickens, but because I like looking at pretty chicken pictures. You lose me when you start throwing insults just because you refuse to give a rooster a chance in your flock, though.

(She also pushes DE and all that other "all natural" crap that doesn't really work, so she was already on thin ice leading up to that point for me. 🤐 )

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
Where is McMurray hatchery located again? I'm not sure but I MIGHT have gotten chicks from them before.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,765 Posts
Never thought about this before, do EEs go broody? It might be the way to grow your flock into more of a backyard flock by using the hatchery birds to grow your flock to something less hatchery like.

Cochins are always floofy. The little bowling balls just standing there looking so sweet.
LOOKING so sweet! Hahahaha mines a terror to everyone but the two Serama she lives with!

She chases EVERYONE else away and the Serama hides behind her when there’s a true threat. Like yeah buddy you’re so tough… hilarious.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,765 Posts
@Overmountain1 where did you get Tiny and your other little bantams from? They are really cute and would love to buy myself breeds like that!
Thanks!!

I got them from Ideal last year; it took 7 to get to minimum size or whatever which is why I used them- didn’t have to order a million chickens to get just a few I wanted!

They have done great; we lost one chick to what I think was simply FTT, just a day or so after arrival. All others were fine. Just don’t order bantam Cochins from there… idk they might be ok if not partridge but the two boys we got wound up ultimately aggressive. Dan had to put the one down bc it was killing everything or trying to. So- mixed review from them. The D’Uccle have been fabulously loving and pretty and healthy.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
Thanks!!

I got them from Ideal last year; it took 7 to get to minimum size or whatever which is why I used them- didn’t have to order a million chickens to get just a few I wanted!

They have done great; we lost one chick to what I think was simply FTT, just a day or so after arrival. All others were fine. Just don’t order bantam Cochins from there… idk they might be ok if not partridge but the two boys we got wound up ultimately aggressive. Dan had to put the one down bc it was killing everything or trying to. So- mixed review from them. The D’Uccle have been fabulously loving and pretty and healthy.
Wow, Thanks!

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,233 Posts
Umm I don't think that's the one, sorry. I mean the really tiny light grey bantam if you know what I'm talking about.
Sorry for pestering you. :p

·
Wonderful Friend
1,765 Posts
Aww thanks guys!

Tiny is kind of an off white with blue and white tips; usually lol. He’s a bit less than stellar atm.
I’m trying to think if there have been some pics of them that may have made them appear more of a grey, but I’m fresh out of ideas lol! Can you describe them a little more and I might can get it right?
My chickens came from TS- Chip and Jackie; from Ideal were Tiny and his girls; from Dan are my Serama, Phoenix, and Hensley. Anyone else is just a cross I hatched, or full size. Hth!

·
Administrator
22,038 Posts
Aww thanks guys!

Tiny is kind of an off white with blue and white tips; usually lol. He’s a bit less than stellar atm.
I’m trying to think if there have been some pics of them that may have made them appear more of a grey, but I’m fresh out of ideas lol! Can you describe them a little more and I might can get it right?
My chickens came from TS- Chip and Jackie; from Ideal were Tiny and his girls; from Dan are my Serama, Phoenix, and Hensley. Anyone else is just a cross I hatched, or full size. Hth!

I'm not sure I've ever seen one look as ratty as he does during a molt. Poor guy.

·
Super Moderator
3,838 Posts
Oh, geez, I had no idea you had so much trouble getting colored eggers for your flock! I hope your new Ameraucanas work out for you! How are they doing these days?

Regarding Meyer Hatchery, I'm very torn about them. I'd gotten chicks occasionally from them for years and they had nothing but my utmost support. Then recently (well, within the past few years) they started to really push Lisa Steele and her products, and that lady rubs me the wrong way. That comes especially after she backhandedly called all people who own roosters stupid in a blog post that has since been edited to remove that little tidbit after the backlash she received about it. That was the last blog post I saw from her before unfollowing her, but from what I gather from other people's comments on her, her opinion hasn't changed regardless of the blog post changing. Meyer's is still the only national hatchery in driving distance for me, so I did get chicks from them this year despite that association, but they just announced a few days ago that they'll no longer carry my beloved Silver Gray Dorkings after this year, so there's another nail in the coffin. :( At this point, I'm not really sure how I feel about them anymore.

Not always if from hatcheries, unfortunately. I've seen some hatchery large fowl Cochins that were shaped more like Marans with heavier foot feathering. Skinny bantam Cochins with long legs and tails. 😬 I'm not even sure they can be considered Cochins, but that's what they're sold as.
Poultry hatchery politics. When this nonsense goes on long enough, it affects the SOP. Dedicated small breeders are the ones who preserve the Standard.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts