Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wiped off some dirt and used a toothpick and gently scraped off some things stuck on her nose. But there is this thing on her nose idk what it is but it’s attached to the nose? I tried getting it off since the other chickens don’t have it see pictures below

What should I do? Should I leave it? She does sometimes have trouble breathing like I can hear her breathing and she sneeze sometimes
IMG_8914.jpg
IMG_8914.jpg

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
I don't see anything either.

If dawg is right and it's canker, let untreated it will just spread and eventually block her nares completely. That's if it is canker.

Without your parents' support on treating her all you can do is your best to keep her comfortable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see anything either.

If dawg is right and it's canker, let untreated it will just spread and eventually block her nares completely. That's if it is canker.

Without your parents' support on treating her all you can do is your best to keep her comfortable.
What is canker? Because there always black stuff on her nose like dirt I think?

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
That's why dawg thinks it's canker. It's Trichomonosis, is contagious and lifelong. But without your parents participation we can't know any of that for certain.

If you go back to your original post you will see what he had to say about it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's why dawg thinks it's canker. It's Trichomonosis, is contagious and lifelong. But without your parents participation we can't know any of that for certain.

Okay I just saw the original post. Could she die because of canker? Because she my favourite hen and I don’t really want her to suffer.. any natural remedies? Because I want to help but idk what to do.. if it’s gonna get worse and could spread to my other hens

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

And honestly if I hadn’t seen up close I wouldn’t even know she was sick. She still acts normal like dust bathing and eating. But she occasionally sneezes and chokes on the food.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Can you look in her mouth? You want to see if her throat has any restrictions.

I don't know of anything that can treat canker that doesn't involve some cost. If it's canker. Seeing inside her mouth might actually answer that question.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you look in her mouth? You want to see if her throat has any restrictions.

I don't know of anything that can treat canker that doesn't involve some cost. If it's canker. Seeing inside her mouth might actually answer that question.
Well I tried opening my hens mouth so far didn’t see anything. I also noticed my other hen starting to gave her nose bit blocked

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Chickens do get stuff in their nares (nostrils). It's rather common. But if it's the same thing as this current girl that lends itself more and more to it being the canker that dawg suggested.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chickens do get stuff in their nares (nostrils). It's rather common. But if it's the same thing as this current girl that lends itself more and more to it being the canker that dawg suggested.
Ok thx. So should I just leave it? I do hear her breathing and she sneeze and shakes head. My other hens sneeze too but they don’t have things blocking their nostrils

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
If chickens are in dusty conditions they will sneeze. Have a farmer plowing fields when it's dry, bedding that is extra dusty. Just like us they can react to those types of things.

I really don't know what to tell you to do if they can't be treated.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I believe the OP states that yes, left untreated, she will succumb to the illness and die, whether in a day or a week or a year, we can’t say for sure. And that yes, it is contagious.
Maybe you can allow your parents to read the threads here and see what your resident, highly experienced chicken keepers have to say? I will say that I trust my chickens lives with some of these peoples collective opinions and advice- they’ve been doing this a long time. Dawg especially, and I believe he was your main responder. Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the OP states that yes, left untreated, she will succumb to the illness and die, whether in a day or a week or a year, we can’t say for sure. And that yes, it is contagious.
Maybe you can allow your parents to read the threads here and see what your resident, highly experienced chicken keepers have to say? I will say that I trust my chickens lives with some of these peoples collective opinions and advice- they’ve been doing this a long time. Dawg especially, and I believe he was your main responder. Good luck.
But are you sure that she has canker? I’m not saying I don’t trust you but how do you know it is?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I’m not sure what else you are wanting from us. I’m not being rude, it’s just that we have made several suggestions, and we are not vets and we cannot see the issue in person.
These experienced chicken keepers can only share their own knowledge and experience, and give you their best advice with what we can work with. It is all anyone can do via forum. I hope you find a way to make the money to treat them. It sounds like that is your only bet.
Where there is a will, there is a way this time. If you truly want to save that hen then you should get to work. By the time you make enough to get the relatively inexpensive treatment you will have either proved to your parents you are serious and it’s your money this time anyway, or you can find another trusted adult elsewhere to buy it using your money. Not saying lie to parents, be honest about what you are doing, but if that’s what it takes then it’s what it takes.

We do what we have to do for our pets, and I know I’d walk uphill all day for mine. What will you do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m not sure what else you are wanting from us. I’m not being rude, it’s just that we have made several suggestions, and we are not vets and we cannot see the issue in person.
These experienced chicken keepers can only share their own knowledge and experience, and give you their best advice with what we can work with. It is all anyone can do via forum. I hope you find a way to make the money to treat them. It sounds like that is your only bet.
Where there is a will, there is a way this time. If you truly want to save that hen then you should get to work. By the time you make enough to get the relatively inexpensive treatment you will have either proved to your parents you are serious and it’s your money this time anyway, or you can find another trusted adult elsewhere to buy it using your money. Not saying lie to parents, be honest about what you are doing, but if that’s what it takes then it’s what it takes.

We do what we have to do for our pets, and I know I’d walk uphill all day for mine. What will you do?
I’m hoping she’s not as bad as ur saying lol... she still acts normal and she does not open her mouth to breath.. I’m tryna think what to do cuz I do have my own money but they don’t let me buy it cuz we spent lots of money for them so yeah

·
Registered
733 Posts
Tough position to be in.

Here’s the thing; as I do understand it, if it is the canker, you can potentially lose one hen, and still need treatment for the rest due to contagion, and be in the same position with one less chicken. Or more depending on how far theirs progress.
Additionally, if it is already impeding her breathing, there is potential for that to go south in a big hurry if her breathing is cut off completely.

I am no expert. I can’t tell you the exact right thing to do, except that the risk is high and the reward for inaction is.... not a reward. Whatever is going on, it is into her tissues and will require some internal medication to clear, I can say that with a lot of confidence.

Is there the chance it is something else and MAYBE it’ll clear on its own? Sure. There’s always the chance we are all wrong. I hope we are. I truly hope you find the solution for your girls moving forward. I know your parents cannot be cruel people and would not want her to suffer. Research and share and keep after them, it’s all you can do. You are your chickens only advocate. If you don’t, then there isn’t anyone else.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tough position to be in.

Here’s the thing; as I do understand it, if it is the canker, you can potentially lose one hen, and still need treatment for the rest due to contagion, and be in the same position with one less chicken. Or more depending on how far theirs progress.
Additionally, if it is already impeding her breathing, there is potential for that to go south in a big hurry if her breathing is cut off completely.

I am no expert. I can’t tell you the exact right thing to do, except that the risk is high and the reward for inaction is.... not a reward. Whatever is going on, it is into her tissues and will require some internal medication to clear, I can say that with a lot of confidence.

Is there the chance it is something else and MAYBE it’ll clear on its own? Sure. There’s always the chance we are all wrong. I hope we are. I truly hope you find the solution for your girls moving forward. I know your parents cannot be cruel people and would not want her to suffer. Research and share and keep after them, it’s all you can do. You are your chickens only advocate. If you don’t, then there isn’t anyone else.
Thanks I’m always checking on her to see if she’s okay. And yeah I understand why my
Parents won’t buy it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts