Chicken Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am still new to raising chickens. It's been close to 2 years now and I am learning things every day. I started out with 4 laying hens and now have 35! I have a mixture, BO, silkies, RR, production reds, red and black sex links, EE and just added 5 baby polish. I also have a beautiful Roo and a cripple Roo I call Gimpman. In fact, all my girls have names. I also have 2 turkeys. I don't eat my chickens because they are pets. But I do eat and sell my eggs.

I'm a native, born and raised in Florida. I have a cat, 3 dogs and a parrot. My husband and I also raise bees, for the honey and we have a bat house that has about 50 residents. We have a nice size garden which mostly grows weeds!

I am a city girl turned country and loving it! Everyday is a blessing! I have 7 grandchildren, all boys!

I'm also retired but have become a published author with 14 books under my belt.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Hello and welcome and a bat house? Is it somewhere they have taken over, or did you build it for them? Blows my mind!!! :eek: And you have learned chicken math, start with a few, and end up with a flock and a half!! Love it!! :D

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Hi! Welcome. :) Guess you discovered how addicting chickens are already. :D Mine too are pets. I have 9. Love every single one of them. Two of mine (Ameraucana & Australorp) are broody right now so they're being major nest box hogs. No chance of chicks though since there is no roo. Good thing my duck isn't laying yet! Have a male & female and if those 2 girls of mine discovered a duck egg without my knowing ... :eek: (I do not want any more ducks! Two are more than mess enough for me.) Thinking I'm going to have to pull those 2 out of the main coop and put them in the small coop tractor instead. Limited space and NO nest box. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) It sounds like you have an assortment of pets! I haven't really ever heard of a bat house, so I am intrigued and want to know more about this. I have recently discovered how wonderful turkeys can be and have one sweet girl named Lulu. It's like having a feathered dog around! What kind of books do you write? I am a bookworm at heart.
Isn't it fun being country? I bet your grandsons have fun visiting you! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome! My, my, your assortment is awesome! I tried to talk my husband into having a bat house and he stomped his foot loudly with a resounding NO. That's ok. I'll talk him into it eventually. The benefits are worth the wait. :) I'm an avid gardener too and my little ones get the benefit of my occasional gardening flops. They just finished off a crop of spinach that bolted early due to our crazy NC weather. Compared to everyone else, my RIR flock is small and not very imaginative but they keep me so entertained! Who needs city lights when you can have Elvis the rooster crooning love songs to the hens?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Among all the detecting activities, gold metal detecting is the most interesting one. It can not only relax both your body and mind , but also give you a big fortune if you are lucky enough.Next time if you feel bored, you can pick up a gold detector and have a try.

Metal detector for sale is very popular online nowadays.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts