Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got our chicks 4 weeks ago I got what I was told to be 3 Cornish cross 3 barred rock and 2 Americana. One of which I believe is yellow and the other brownish. The problem I'm having is I have 4 yellow chicks that are all growing extremely fast like Cornish cross. I used to be able to tell them apart but not so much these days. My girlfriend pointed out that 3 of them have yellow feet and one of them has feet with a green tint to them. Is that one my Americana? Or did I get 4 Cornish cross?

·
441 Posts
Can you post a pic? When I first read your post I thought...they've got 4 Cornish X because nothing else grows quite as fast as a CX (except for geese and ducks), but then I got to the green legs part. So definitely pics would help.
I suppose it's possible that you got a Cornish X and easter egger/Ameraucana mix, but highly unlikely.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I expect that you'll just need to wait a while longer. (probably another month)
The growth-rate and Activity Level will tell you. (The Cornish X will NOT be as active...but hungrier ! )
The green-legged one is probably NOT a Cornish X. :)
-ReTIRED-

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mjs500doo said:
Ameraucana (purebred) have slate or black legs. Green legs indicate a cross typically, like an EE.
Meaning it will lay eggs? We were planning on having 5 birds for eggs and 3 for the dinner table. This late in the game I don't want to raise a new chick or introduce a new one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Clearcut23 said:
Meaning it will lay eggs? We were planning on having 5 birds for eggs and 3 for the dinner table. This late in the game I don't want to raise a new chick or introduce a new one.
It may. Looks like a pullet to me. Just because she may lay doesn't mean you can't eat her. :) Ah the beauty of chickens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts