Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought two baby chickens today and I was just wondering how I could tell if they are to hot under the heat lamp? And also can I cut the heap lamp off at night and put a blanket over the cage? Would that keep them warm as well?
(They are in my bedroom in a cage not outside)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats on the chick's. how old are they? If they are not fully feathered they need the lamp, a blanket over the cage won't suffice. It should be warm to the the touch, warm like your own body heat. Is there an area where they can go to get away from the heat of the lamp if they needed? That would be good too. Hope that helps. Btw what what kind of chick's? Pics? Lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats on the chick's. how old are they? If they are not fully feathered they need the lamp, a blanket over the cage won't suffice. It should be warm to the the touch, warm like your own body heat. Is there an area where they can go to get away from the heat of the lamp if they needed? That would be good too. Hope that helps. Btw what what kind of chick's? Pics? Lol
Thanks I'm loving them Not sure on the age should maybe be about anywhere from 2 to 3 days old. And I know they are pullets I can't really remember what the sign said I know they are cute tho. Ill stick a pic up the pic is kinda red front the light but you can still see them lol. And yeah I put my hand in the cage and its just warm it ain't really hot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks my boyfriend named the one ringo and then we both named the other lol they are a lot of fun

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do they have a yellow spot on their head? They look like my barred rocks when they were babies. I think they had fluffy yellow butts too. Congrats! Do you have a spot outside for them yet?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do they have a yellow spot on their head? They look like my barred rocks when they were babies. I think they had fluffy yellow butts too. Congrats! Do you have a spot outside for them yet?
Yeah they have yellow dots on their heads and they have little grey butts and yeah I'm goin today to take down a chicken wire dog lot and I'm gonna make a run for them and we are gonna build their box so when they are bigger I can put them out right now they are in my bedroom

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the chicks are peeping a lot, and moving away from the light. They also can start moving around a lot too. That means its to hot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cute babies!!

Can I suggest placing some paper towels on top of the newspaper?? The newsprint alone can get kinda slippery and has potential to affect their legs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
InnKeeper said:
Cute babies!!

Can I suggest placing some paper towels on top of the newspaper?? The newsprint alone can get kinda slippery and has potential to affect their legs.
yes, paper towels are grass:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
awww soo cute! may i please make a suggestion? you should get a cheap thermometer and put in the brooder! young chicks for the first week need the temp 95 degrees then you must reduce the heat by 5 degrees each week, watching how they behave after each heat reduction. if they are too cold they will huddle under the lamp, too hot they will shy from the lamp, pant, ruffle feathers, if its just right they will be evenly dispersed in the box and make happy peeps not panic peeps. you should really NOT guess on temperature and get a temp reader, they are three dollars for a digital at Walmart. may i make another suggestion ? also, if your not going to use pine shavings as litter put out some paper towels over the newspaper because it gets slippery and can give them serious leg problems. i hope this is helpful! you're babies are soo adorable! congradulations! on your little ones! they are really precious! keep the pictures coming! :) Hope you don't mind the suggestions, just trying to be helpful: ) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the chicks are peeping a lot, and moving away from the light. They also can start moving around a lot too. That means its to hot.
They are pretty quiet they wasn't when they came home but now that they are use to everything they are fine I moved it to where there is a cooler spot but they will lay in the warmest spot

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I came back from dinner and my cat who hasn't came in my room for two weeks now came in my room and while I was not home killed my little babys now my dad has to fix something where nothin can get to them so I can get some more ...not a good night :'(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh no that's horrible. I'm so sorry!
Thanks I hate that she got them bc they were starting to get really use to me and was sleeping in my hand so I was kinda attached so my boyfriend made a little grave for them ..hopefully ill have two more this week and my dad will have my room fixed where she can't get in no more

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Taylor1438 said:
Thanks I hate that she got them bc they were starting to get really use to me and was sleeping in my hand so I was kinda attached so my boyfriend made a little grave for them ..hopefully ill have two more this week and my dad will have my room fixed where she can't get in no more
Yes, please assure that the kitty can't get to them. I'd hate to hear this again. On a good note, I'm glad they were layed to rest properly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Aw that is horrible....bad kitty... Well I'm glad that ur bf made a proper grave for the poor things. Good thing u guys r getting some more :) and if they go in the corners or stay away from the light then they r to Hot. If the huddle close directly under the heat lamp they r to cold. Hope this helps :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts