Chicken Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two certain week old chickens attacking a baby chick! How do I stop this?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How do i stop this

My two biggest week old chicks are attacking the little one day!? Help! How do I stop this?

·
172 Posts
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to house chicks with older birds. You really are just asking for trouble. You can make sure they have plenty of room, are well feed, and are not bored. After that you may have to decide that one or the other has to go. good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
farmhand said:
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to house chicks with older birds. You really are just asking for trouble. You can make sure they have plenty of room, are well feed, and are not bored. After that you may have to decide that one or the other has to go. good luck.
I agree with Clifford. Maybe seperate them, that way you can keep all if them!

·
172 Posts
Something else you might try is dividing your border into two parts. If you could do it with chicken wire, everyone would still assume they are in the same flock. Thus making it easier to put them together again later. In another month, the one week age difference won't be so great.
You might also consider that having only 3 chicks allows someone to be picked on more especially if he/she is different than the others.
Sometimes someone has to go. :(

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
I agree with the others ...

Older chicks with babies don't mix. (dividing or rehome)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
farmhand said:
Something else you might try is dividing your border into two parts. If you could do it with chicken wire, everyone would still assume they are in the same flock. Thus making it easier to put them together again later. In another month, the one week age difference won't be so great.
You might also consider that having only 3 chicks allows someone to be picked on more especially if he/she is different than the others.
Sometimes someone has to go. :(
Thanks for the advice. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always keep a run and small coop next to my older chickens coop for my new chickens(7weeks old) I make sure that my old chickens can see the young ones in the run for about a week or two and that way they get use to the idea of the younger ones being there while keeping the younger chickens safe from attack after the week or two is up I let them run with my older chickens. A few fights and pecks just to show the new ones who is the boss but other then that they get along just fine. If blood ever get drone take the chicken away from the rest because they will peck the chicken to death

Hope this helps

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
farmhand said:
So fuzzball, how did this problem end up?
They became their own family! X)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts