Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to figure out how to peel my hens eggs after I hard boil them without taking half the egg with the shell. Anyone have any tips?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Bring the water to boil then put the eggs in with a spoon or similar so they dont crack. Return to boil for 14minutes. Imedietly run eggs under cold water till cold. Then peel.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
The older the eggs are, the easier they peel. But everyone has a fool proof method that works for only them, but there is one thing that I am absolutely positive of. It's a crap shoot. :mad:

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I only hard boil my eggs after I have aged them at room temp for 2 weeks. And, I've found that the green eggs peel just like store bought and my brown eggs don't peel as well.

I tried the "new" idea of baking them in the oven. While it did make a nice, tender "hard-boiled" egg with a creamy yolk the smell that came from my oven that had me opening the back door and finding a fan to run with 25* temps outside was beyond V*I*L*E. They were easy to peel ! But I had to line the bottom of the oven with foil because they also dripped stinky liquid that burned and smelled bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I didn't know we could or should leave the eggs out. We r trying that now so we will see in a few weeks how it goes. Thanks again!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I found that boiling the water first adding some salt and then adding eggs and boil for about 20 mins followed by an immediate ice bath worked great. I don't have the patience to wait weeks with my eggs on the counter where my little can potentially get them! Good luck with your trial and errors!!!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thanks everyone! I didn't know we could or should leave the eggs out. We r trying that now so we will see in a few weeks how it goes. Thanks again!
I have never nor have I ever heard of any of my chicken owner friends to age their eggs for weeks on the counter. I have always just boiled them straight from the fridge. I have also never added salt. My 10yo daughter just peeled another dozen tonight to pickle and she had no issue with the shells.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I put the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, boil 10-12 min., remove eggs immediately into ice water (lots of ice). This is what works for me. I really think the key is chilling them immediately when they're done.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I leave my eggs out on the counter. Mother leave Earth News has a good article on egg keeping. And old timers have reassured me they grew up with eggs on the counter or in a regular drawer.

I have had problems getting my hard boiled eggs to peel if the eggs are fresh. I just tried adding salt to the water followed by the cold water bath and viola', they peeled like a dream. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did some reading on the "egg smell." Turns out that chickens don't process soy so well and that is where the yucky smell comes from. I started feeding soy-free food, which is not more expensive, and have noticed a big difference.
I used to even smell it when the dishwasher was running a hot cycle, but now it is gone.
Hope that is useful info for someone out there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree that everyone has their own method. Mine is too use older eggs put them in a pot bring to boil, shut pot off immediately ( So basically you don't keep water boiling at all) and walk away. (Leave pot on warm eye). I have found I have the most luck with this method.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I agree with most the posts here... I boil water first, then turn it on low and add the eggs for 15 minutes. To peel them I take them out and submerge them in a big bowl of ice water. That way you don't burn your hands trying to peel them hot and you don't loose half the egg pealing them warm. The shell should just slip right off. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured it out!!!! Steam them!!! It really works, I steamed fresh(laid that day) eggs in my rice/veggie steamer for 20 mins, dropped them in cold water for a few mins. and even still a little warm they peeled in almost 1 piece. So EZ!!! I am so happy I saw this idea on a chicken page on FB. Please try it and see if u guys have the same results I did!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Only way we do eggs here:

Put eggs in hot water on stove.
Add 1 tsp salt.
Once boiling, 8 minutes to a perfect egg. (I cannot stand eating green yolks. Green is overdone!-gag!!!)
Turn off heat, drain.
Run cold water on eggs for 2 minutes.
Put eggs in ice water bath for 8 minutes.
Peel.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I start out my eggs in cool water and then bring them to a boil. I let them boil for 10-12 minutes and will usually turn the oven off and put a lid on it (keeps them boiling for a while still). After that, I rinse them off in cold water from the tap so that I can handle them. I usually let them sit in cold water for 5-7 minutes. Once the eggs have cooled down, I take each egg and smack them on both ends to break and then I roll them on the counter to break the shell all over the eggs and then I sit the broken eggs into a bowl (I usually fill the sink with warm water) to soak while I do the same to the rest of the eggs. I try to remember which ones I did first because I go back to them and start working on peeling them first. This gives the tough skin time to soften up and allow water to go in between the shell and the egg (if I've successfully made a hole in the weird skin thing). The shell usually peels/slips right off for me after I get them started. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts