·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chicks fond of me? (Letting me hold them?) :$

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
just pick them up for several minutes at a time, let them get used to you. also just hang out with your flock and they will soon get used to having you around.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
Baby chickens are like men, they will do nearly anything for treats. :eek:

Feed them by hand, and then hold out food, and they will start to come to you, then they will begin to run to you, then they will crawl all over you to see what you have. Just like men. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Spend a couple 5-10 minute sessions with your birds each day. Give them treats, pick them up and hold them, talk to them, etc. After doing this for a few weeks, the chicks will be more used to you. You can begin to call them by name and let them come to you when called. It is just like training a dog, except they are a lot smaller and require a lot more attention! I hope this helps!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the food in hand thing but they're stubborn!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tried the food in hand thing but they're stubborn!
Give it some time and do what I said. Try talking to them for a few days and let them get used to your voice. lay your hand down in their box and let them run over it and get used to it being there. After doing this, you can begin to add feed in the palm of your hand and let them take their time going to peck at it. Just be patient! That is the key!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Umm......

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sooo, back to the subject

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I apologize, I get carried away. But really, treats and petting them alot is the best way, but it won't be done overnight. It takes time to build trust.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fuzziebutt said:
I apologize, I get carried away. But really, treats and petting them alot is the best way, but it won't be done overnight. It takes time to build trust.
Umm, so what can I use for treats?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts