Chicken Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So during the day I have class so I cannot let them out to free range. And I don’t think they have been quite happy when they are inside the coop/run. I only have a coop they were supposed to sleep in it but ended up sleeping on the big roosting bar in the run which I’m pretty sure is predator proof. The coop is only for nests and stuff. So while I’m not outside they are just in the run soetimes digging in the dirt and I’ve made a toy with treats for them too. Everytime I go out they scream very loud like they wanna come out so whenever I’m done class I go outside and watch them free range for around 2 hours and then let them out again at night for an hour. Is there anything todo to help them not be bored? The run is like a bit small for 3 hens I’m not sure the measurements. But my broody hen jist stays in the nest. I’ll try to get a pic of the run because I wanna know if it’s too small and my backyard is pretty small too like an average house backyard

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try a bigger pen and do post a picture thanks! So why can't they free range in your actual backyard, will they get out?
I would have to see the actual run, so I will wait for a picture, Thanks!
Maybe you should just put them in your backyard.

·
Administrator
19,622 Posts
So during the day I have class so I cannot let them out to free range. And I don’t think they have been quite happy when they are inside the coop/run. I only have a coop they were supposed to sleep in it but ended up sleeping on the big roosting bar in the run which I’m pretty sure is predator proof. The coop is only for nests and stuff. So while I’m not outside they are just in the run soetimes digging in the dirt and I’ve made a toy with treats for them too. Everytime I go out they scream very loud like they wanna come out so whenever I’m done class I go outside and watch them free range for around 2 hours and then let them out again at night for an hour. Is there anything todo to help them not be bored? The run is like a bit small for 3 hens I’m not sure the measurements. But my broody hen jist stays in the nest. I’ll try to get a pic of the run because I wanna know if it’s too small and my backyard is pretty small too like an average house backyard
Hang a head of lettuce or cabbage just out of their reach so they have to to get at it. That will keep them occupied for a bit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try a bigger pen and do post a picture thanks! So why can't they free range in your actual backyard, will they get out?
I would have to see the actual run, so I will wait for a picture, Thanks!
Maybe you should just put them in your backyard.
Because they will eat the plants when the plants grow bigger they will free range the whole day

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can let them out during the day in your backyard, the only times that predators ever attacked my chickens which was twice (sadly I lost a few) were during the night

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can let them out during the day in your backyard, the only times that predators ever attacked my chickens which was twice (sadly I lost a few) were during the night
Yeah it’s not the predators it’s the plants so when the plants grow bigger they can free range the whole day

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I have a really small flock which is 3 chickens and I’ve saw that Colombian rocks prefer to be in smaller flocks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts