Chicken Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flock and I have tryed to introduce a new bird she started to get picked on so I have separated her with a few of the mellow birds, any ideas???? Much appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you introduce her when it was dark? We have a rooster, and he stops any fights between the girls, but before we got him we introduced new hens when it was dark and made sure the day after that the hens had plenty to keep them busy-hiding food etc. This usually helped to take their mind off the new girl. In my experience, the worse thing you can do is to take the new hen out and keep re-introducing her, she will settle into the pecking order quicker if you leave her to find her rank.Some fighting is normal/expected. The most recent hen we introduced was petrified, but she is now the dominant bird. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just picked up ten hens from a friend. They are 2 weeks younger than the other 6 I have in the old coop. I put the ten in the new coop right away. Is it better to wait to introduce the old six or should I do it right away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If they are similar sizes, you should be fine. Although I do quarentine my new hens for 7 day's before i put them in the main flock just incase :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, yes that is the way forword , I will add her in at night, their is only two more big birds that I will have to introduce her to hope they quickly sort their order out thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts