Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have run low on started feed, and have a too large supply of grower feed. My Cornish cross are about a week from processing. Any ideas how I can increase the protein and still use the grower to finish them out? And, keep in mind, they are on all natural, non soy, non GMO feed, so, I have to stick with that route and use readily available supplies.

·
Registered
647 Posts
i have no idea .. i never had cornish x .. i will just give it a guess ,, how about some scrambled eggs from your layers? they are free and free is good

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bee said:
Have you tried fermenting your feeds?
I have, but, will that increase the protein? I figured I would need to add to it, it is only 16% and it needs to be closer to 22%. I know they will absorb the protein better, but still, need it increased. I am about to get my fodder going again soon, but, it will not be soon enough

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nj2wv said:
i have no idea .. i never had cornish x .. i will just give it a guess ,, how about some scrambled eggs from your layers? they are free and free is good
tere is an idea. I thought about fish such as talaria or tuna, wild caught of course. Didn't think of eggs, for some reason!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I have, but, will that increase the protein? I figured I would need to add to it, it is only 16% and it needs to be closer to 22%. I know they will absorb the protein better, but still, need it increased. I am about to get my fodder going again soon, but, it will not be soon enough
It actually improves the nature of the protein, converting it to something more usable by the chicken, so it's like a way to make regular food into a super food. Some studies state that fermentation improves the readily available protein by 12%.

Another easy way to increase for CX is to merely feed more...they will pretty much consume whatever you put out.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bee said:
It actually improves the nature of the protein, converting it to something more usable by the chicken, so it's like a way to make regular food into a super food. Some studies state that fermentation improves the readily available protein by 12%. Another easy way to increase for CX is to merely feed more...they will pretty much consume whatever you put out.
My spring batch grew just as planned. My sumner batch, they are 7 weeks now, still only about 3 pounds. Have been on the same feed as the spring batch. But, I did hear they grow slower in summer heat. They do have constant access to food and get to free range the garden. Figured might as well get all that poop right where I want it!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another thing I had not thought about, we are making cheese today, and , the whey, should be high in protein, I think I will mix this with some grower and make into a mash! One day of feed taken care of!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bee is back!!! :)
Sorry had to add that. I am always on here reading but I rarely comment as everyone has a lot better advice than me most of the time, think I'm 8 months in to chicken keeping! I just love to learn from you all! & being busy building a new coop/run I hadn't noticed bee was back :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts