Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently it’s been super hot like 30-40 C and my chickens are panting and opening their mouth and their wings are separated from their body. They even stopped laying eggs yesterday and they sometimes just stand there. They hate water because I tried putting their feet in cold water they don’t like it. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
You've really been getting that hot already? Shade, shallow pans of water for them to stand in, hose down their coop and fans aimed at the ceiling for air movement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've really been getting that hot already? Shade, shallow pans of water for them to stand in, hose down their coop and fans aimed at the ceiling for air movement.
Yeah it’s so hot.. I put water but they hate water and won’t go in and they don’t like the hose either and my coop is made of wood so idk of its a good idea to make it wet and I’m
Not sure I have a fan lol

·
Administrator
19,623 Posts
Do those things. They might not like it now because they don't know. Set their feathery behind in the pan of water and hold them there until they get quiet. They'll learn. Some are smart enough they know instinctively to step in. Soak the ground they're on. Same thing, wet ground will wick heat off their bodies.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do those things. They might not like it now because they don't know. Set their feathery behind in the pan of water and hold them there until they get quiet. They'll learn. Some are smart enough they know instinctively to step in. Soak the ground they're on. Same thing, wet ground will wick heat off their bodies.
I’ve tried to hold them and she didn’t move but when I let go she jumped out quickly

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well I suggest try a fan and definitely dig some dirt up so they can dust bathe that's probably the number 1 thing that cools them down.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,247 Posts
Yep, frozen treats they can pick apart are always a hit- on especially hot days when mine get too lazy for even that, they will still peck at a frozen ice pop! Only occasionally and as an extra special(-ly bad for them lol) treat bc clearly it’s not the best but if it gets them drinking or whatnot it’s sometimes worth it- to me.
There are healthier fruit juice version of ice pops out there. My Wyandottes won’t touch those. They’re weird tho.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, frozen treats they can pick apart are always a hit- on especially hot days when mine get too lazy for even that, they will still peck at a frozen ice pop! Only occasionally and as an extra special(-ly bad for them lol) treat bc clearly it’s not the best but if it gets them drinking or whatnot it’s sometimes worth it- to me.
There are healthier fruit juice version of ice pops out there. My Wyandottes won’t touch those. They’re weird tho.
I gave them frozen mealworms

1 - 19 of 19 Posts