How old ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Philippino chick, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Philippino chick

Philippino chick New Member

CBDBA5B1-D325-483C-9613-D2223CD407C9.jpeg CE9C152F-97DF-4250-9440-559D9D4E64FF.jpeg Any ideas roughly how old my rescue chicken is?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

A month? I'm the worst at guessing that kind of thing because I raised what you see in my avatar.

But, is this your first post? The one I couldn't see last night?

3. Philippino chick

No this is a second one I also asked if anyone thinks he/she is a male or female and what bread it could be

4. robin416

That first post is still hanging out there. Stuck in the Twilight Zone.

I'm going to holler at someone who is really good at this chick thing.

Did you see what I said last night about getting another?

5. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

My guess is about 3 weeks and a meat bird.

6. robin416

Ah man, that's not good if it is a meat bird.

PC, do some digging on them. You're not going to happy when you find out what it's going to take to care for them and try to extend their lives.

7. Philippino chick

Oh really how comes ? I was looking in to shipping him back to London if I ever get a flight back myself

8. robin416

They are very short lived because of their breeding for meat. Their legs give out because of the excess weight and very often their hearts.

Chances of you shipping a live bird back to another country is slim to none. They are very strict about shipping live birds due to diseases.

9. Philippino chick

Oh this is so sad! I got in contact with a shipping company that only deals with live birds. I feel so bad now I rescued him. He’s got so so attached to me and now I don’t no what I’m gonna do with him

10. robin416

Enjoy him for the time you have him. There is the possibility you'll be stuck there for sometime yet unless they arrange rescue flights back to your home country.

11. Philippino chick

But I’m scared to give him to anyone incase they wanna eat him. They gave me rooster food when I got him do you think I should go and get him a different food?

12. robin416

The issue is that meat birds rarely live past six months. It takes a bunch of knowledgeable care to have them live longer but even then it doesn't extend their lives by much.

There just isn't really anything you can do to change it. As to the food, I don't know what they use there so I can't give any advice on that.

Philippino chick likes this.
  13. Philippino chick

Oh this is so sad ☹️ I’m gonna keep him as long as I’m here for then and hopefully give him a good life. We’re currently on our way to Cebu on the bus. He seems very happy

14. robin416

That's the right attitude. We all enjoy them for as long as we can have them in our lives. Some for longer than others.

15. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

if it is a meat bird, you could be okay, I've had a couple of cornish cross and a few other's and as long as you are careful about how much food they get and make sure they get enough exercise to strengthen their skeletal muscles and legs, you may be okay.
    I disagree on the age, that is more like 10 or 12 days old. It doesn't have enough feathers for a 3 week old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No promises on the breed but I am 100% sure it's not 3 weeks old. As for gender, it's too hard to tell right now. I'm sorry :( but good on you for rescuing it!

Welcome to the forum and we would love to see more pics as it grows. I don't know how long you will be there but for as long as you are, enjoy the little sweety.