Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my girls as POL at Xmas time. They'd been wormed. How often should I worm them.? I use ivermectin for my horses and that's on body weight. Are chickens the same? How do you weigh a chicken lol. ?

·
Administrator
21,790 Posts
Ivermectin will not work as a wormer. Just got that bit of information from my vet before moving. Its great for leg mites in feather legged birds just not as a wormer. For mites its 1/4 cc bantams and 1/2 cc for large fowl.

I stopped worming mine as an experiment on a study I read about horses and regular worming. They found that most healthy horses can fend off an over load of internal parasites. I decided to see if it was the same with chickens. Before that I wormed twice a year with different wormers.

That said, I am going back to twice a year because my birds are all old now and I don't want to risk their health for an experiment. There are a lot of wormers out there we can use, Wazine is the most popular and pretty easy to administer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Were do u get Ivermectin and how much does it cost and how do I use it cause 1 of my girls has scally leg mites

·
Administrator
21,790 Posts
If she's a clean legged bird you can slather her legs with vaseline to smother the mites. It will have to be repeated in ten days to kill off new mites.

If she's a feather leg and you want to try the Ivermectin it can be had at any feed store or co-op. Its a cattle pour on so will be found in that section. It will also kill off any other mites they might have on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Robin416
I was looking at a older post but wazine is for meat birds it is not same for layers last I checked so unless they came out with some thing new don't use wazine on layers

·
Administrator
21,790 Posts
I think you might have misinterpreted something you read. Wazine (piperzine) is the only wormer approved by the powers that be to use on chickens, all chickens. The fact that we use other products that are more effective for internal parasites other than round worms is considered off label use.

It is recommended that eggs from birds on any drug, wormers included, should be discarded for 30 days. Not because it transfers to the egg, its because no one has bothered to check to see if it does end up in the eggs.

·
Administrator
21,790 Posts
Oh ok sorry for the miss interpretation
It happens. And if someone else told you different when you were new and that information was incorrect its the birds that pay for it. You will see that kind of misinformation on forums and some times its really hard to know what is right and what is not.

The worst offenders are those that work in feed stores. Most, not all, have no clue what it takes to keep a healthy flock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts