How much to feed my chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Chickens' started by Philippino chick, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Philippino chick

Philippino chick New Member

Hi guys
    How much should I be feeding my baby chicken ? I keep a full bowl out all the time but I’m scared he’s eating to much because he poops constantly
    Thanks
    Amy x

2. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi :) I free feed my chickens, they won't overeat. They poop a lot because chickens do. Don't worry, he/she knows when she's full. He/she is still growing, that takes a lot of eating. Remind me again please, what are you feeding her?

Philippino chick likes this.

3. Philippino chick

Well when I brought him/she they told me it was a rooster so I brought rooster food but now if it’s a meat chicken what should I give him/her ?

4. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I sent a note to a new member about this.

All I know about meat birds is that they were not given feed free choice when someone was trying to keep them alive longer. The problem is I don't know how much that was. It might be here in this forum but I don't remember ever seeing it.

Philippino chick likes this.
  5. Nm156

Nm156 Well-Known Member

Meat birds don't have the "I know when I've had enough food" thing. Feed small amounts at a time.Can you post the rooster food? meat birds always require a higher protein food.

6. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Amy, if you can post a list of ingredients on the bag if you have a bag. NM is really good at analyzing feed and how much should be fed.

7. Philippino chick

As soon as I go upstairs I’ll take a picture of the bag and show you it