Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
This is via google:

At what age do silkie hens start laying and how many eggs will they lay?
Typically hens will start to lay when they are around 5-6 months of age and will approximately 200-300 eggs annually, based on the breed type.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have two silkies, both of which lay one small white egg early each morning. They have been laying like this for about 6 months now. I think on average, silkies aren't great layers but so far I'm pretty impressed with mine!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My black silkie was giving me an egg every day for like 3 days then stop a day or two them do 3 days in a row. My other silkies have yet to lay and they're coming up to a year old. BUT I did not supliment light this winter to keep my flock laying.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you thinking of getting a silkie? Or do you have one? I have four. Three are too young to lay yet one just started laying at around 6 months. Silkies are wonderful chickens! I love mine. I love their nature! So loving!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I think that realsis and a few others have dragged me over to the dark side.......
I did some research and found that silkies do fine with larger fowl....so in addition to a trio of egg laying princesses, I also want to get 2 or 3 silkies too!!

Can't wait til May!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yay! I'm excited for you. So what colors did you want? Hahah I love the splash, I have a buff and a white that are spoiled rotten house pets.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yay! I'm excited for you. So what colors did you want? Hahah I love the splash, I have a buff and a white that are spoiled rotten house pets.
Color really doesn't matter much to me, I love allllllllll the colors!
I just am hoping to find a local breeder (or buy from the hatchery that realsis did), and they have to be hens, and the same approx age as the other birds I get so I can introduce them all at the same time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts