Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
While she was broody and then mothering, did her comb and wattles go lighter in color? (That's supposed to be natural when a girl goes "off lay"). If so, she will start laying again when the color comes back. Also, how is the heat there? If you are in a hot spell it might take longer for her to come back to lay. Just guessing. Meanwhile, Apyl is right!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I agree. Natural processes cannot be timed and chickens aren't gumball machines...they require a little patience at times.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
So many different things can come into play ... (And it has nothing to do with being a bad hen)

The age of the chicks that were taken away, the heat of the day, the amount of daylight ... the list goes on and on.

But in the end the others are right... it is up to her. As a side note: If I had a hen that will brood and raise chicks, she would be a keeper. (And I would be willing to give her a little free time for a job well done.

But that is just me ...;)

Best of luck...

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Agreed! A good broody that goes broody once or twice a year can be invaluable to a self-sustaining flock and some folks will pay good money for a good broody hen. I have one that has raised chicks, fostered meat chicks and day old hatchery chicks for me over and over....love that bird!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts