Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had pretty good luck with a sign out front, and using Craig's List, but wondering what else to try. What method do you use to at least get the word of mouth out there. Oh, I also have a website, and facebook page for the chicken stuff.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThreeJ said:
Word of mouth and my family keeps me eggless. I may need more chickens to have some for myself.
Family does help take care of surplus eggs. Right now, not too much left over in the egg spot, but when the rest of these girls start laying, will be more. My chicks seem to go pretty well, maybe it is just the time of year, and competing with feed stores, hard to beat or match their price when they are in it more to sell supplies later on. I try to tell myself that later in the summer, people will be looking for older hens, so, I guess if they don't all sell all the time, just hold on to them, and know they will sell for more later. And by then , we can tell a roo from a hen. I am trying to only keep duel purpose for that reason, and sell off or "camp kenmore" the Roos.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I never tried selling chicks or older. I just sort have had a good balance of hens and roosters. I must admit I have been trying to grow my flock... some eggs in the icubator and some new chicks. I thought one of my kids would have taken chickens in 4h but they went on to other things. We will see what happens in the future.

I like your web page Jim, I love the egg holder ... were did you find it?

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I like selling eggs but I agree that bring eggless isn't fun. Just hot a few more hens to address that as well as the chicken social issues of not enough hens per Roo.

·
Country Gurl
62 Posts
Jom are you the one that bought orpingtons from my Sis Renies in NH? Inwas wonderinh she was relling their was someone here in Texas that was working on blue Australorp besides myself. Anyway I was wondering if you were one and yhe same person.

Back on topic here. I have a lot of people call me with what yhey want and I'll hatch them out. Mine is mostly word of mouth and family legacy, breeding chicken for over 50 years.

VIVI

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VIVI said:
Jom are you the one that bought orpingtons from my Sis Renies in NH? Inwas wonderinh she was relling their was someone here in Texas that was working on blue Australorp besides myself. Anyway I was wondering if you were one and yhe same person.

Back on topic here. I have a lot of people call me with what yhey want and I'll hatch them out. Mine is mostly word of mouth and family legacy, breeding chicken for over 50 years.

VIVI
I hope with time to get the word of mouth going. But no, it was not me that bought the orps, I picked mine up from a local farmer about 75 miles north of me, I am in Galveston county.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I sell our eggs at work. I only sell a couple dozen a week and through the winter we didn't sell any. We meet our own needs first and then sell what's left for $2 per dozen. I have 3 coworkers who take all I can get them.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I'd be leery of chickens from TEXAS !
( They are BOUND TO HAVE an "attitude" !!! )

Ha-Ha !!!
(a New Mexico chicken-rancher....whose Mother was a TEXAN....)

Ha-Ha !!!
( Hooray for 1/2 breeds ! Ha-Ha !!! )

giggle...:)
Bruce ( ReTIRED )
P.S. I've got one o' them-thar "half-breed chickens" ( an Easter-Egger ) that lays the most BEAUTIFUL Robin-Egg BLUE eggs. UGLY chicken, however. Ha-Ha !!! :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have never searched Texas. I know Tennessee has alot of listings. Keep trying you may just have to keep changing locations until you find the right one. I will try to and let you know what I find. Good Luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry Apparently it is not in Texas.:( If I had looked I would have seen MIDSOUTH lol sorry I wasted your time but I will try to find you a sales network in Texas

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chickenlady84 said:
Sorry Apparently it is not in Texas.:( If I had looked I would have seen MIDSOUTH lol sorry I wasted your time but I will try to find you a sales network in Texas
Lol, no worries. Maybe it helped someone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts