Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have 2 bantams 3 rhode island reds and 2 barnavelders! I am wanting to bread my rhode island reds! I have a friend who has a cockerel that he would let me borrow for a while but I don't have a incubator!!!!! what I was wondering is ........… how long would I have to leave the cockerel with them for? Would the hen sit on the egg to hatch it? Would the hen raise the chick? How long will it take for the egg to be fertile and hatch? How long will the whole proses take? Dose it matter what type of cockerel i put in there? Thanks ;) please respond ASAP

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
i have no idea, i have never owned a roo or bread chickens, so im not much help im afraid.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Ok. Got your message. Here is what I know. You can borrow the rooster and put him with your RIR hens. They will only lay an egg a day at most so you will need to keep him around long enough for you to get as many fertile eggs as you need. Most folks mark them with letters from the alphabet so they know who came first etc. use a pencil on the shell. You could number them too if you like that better. The eggs need to be incubated for 3-4 weeks. 21 days but total time will depend on when you start and when you finish. A Broody hen will do all the work for you and will sit, turn and hatch eggs and will care for and nurture chicks. If neither of your RIR hens is Broody then perhaps another of your hens will sit. If you have no cooperative hens then you will need to do all the incubating and raising yourself. That is a very big and time consuming effort. Also addicting from what I can tell. Hope that gives you some answers. There are others that I hope will chime in with more details and their personal stories of success. Are you ready for this?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
good info there, ive only been keeping chickens for about 4 months so that sort of thing is way off for me, i like to learn as much as i can about it before i commit to breeding any animal. maybe ill keep that for when i retire.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Oh, and it doesn't matter what Roo or Hen. They are all about propagating the species so they'll do the dirty deed and accomplish your goals. Generally pretty cooperative so I've heard tell.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Depends on the hens. Some are career girls some are home bodies. Depends on the breeds too. Some breeds are better for broodyness. Is that a word?

·
Registered
563 Posts
RIR hens are notorious for not being the best brooder hens. I'm not sure what I would call a good brood hen breed. If the rooster mounts a hen for the first time, she should be fertile the next day. Like Energyvet said it depends on your hens as if the will set on them or raise the bittys. I would just turn him loose out there and get an incubator for the eggs. Great advice again Energyvet on numbering or alphabetically characterizing them. I have had eggs sit in the incubator for 28 days before a hatch. If those hens came from a hatchery they were bred not to be good mothers so u have to buy from the hatchery again. RIR are my favorite chickens but I have never had a good brooding hen out of one. Always ha to incubate them and introduce them at 4-6 weeks.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I'm really reluctant to keep mentioning this ...but the pickin chicken app reviews breeds and rates them on lots of things like foraging, good in enclosures, and one of them is broodyness. So again I will suggest a look at that app and assess your hens in light of their suggestions.

·
Registered
691 Posts
.....how long would I have to leave the cockerel with them for? Would the hen sit on the egg to hatch it? Would the hen raise the chick? How long will it take for the egg to be fertile and hatch? How long will the whole proses take? Dose it matter what type of cockerel i put in there? Thanks ;) please respond ASAP
1.) at least 2 weeks....the cockerel should be with the hens at least two weeks before you start incubating!
2.) some hens are "broody"....meaning they will sit on a nest of eggs but it is breed dependant (my advice buy an incubator or find some OEG bantam hens). a hen will lay 12-15 eggs to a nest before she bigns "sitting"
3.) some hens are cood mommas some are not....again find some OEG bantam hens they will sit on anything and are generally good mommas! (still prefer an incubator myself)
4.) if you have an incubator and wait 2 weeks to start collecting eggs it will take a few days to gather enough eggs to start the whole process and once they are "set" is takes 21 days to hatch. (a hen will lay about 12 eggs before she "sits" so add those days to the 21 days = 33 days!)
5.) any cockerel will work if ALL you want is "mutt" chicks but if you want pure RIR's you obviously need a RIR cockerel.

PS - The title of this THREAD has nothing to do with "sexing"....it is "breeding" but not "sexing", the term "sexing" as it relates to chickens is how to determine the sex (male/female) of chicks, generally speaking!:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
charliechapman911 said:
Hello I have 2 bantams 3 rhode island reds and 2 barnavelders! I am wanting to bread my rhode island reds! I have a friend who has a cockerel that he would let me borrow for a while but I don't have a incubator!!!!! what I was wondering is ........… how long would I have to leave the cockerel with them for? Would the hen sit on the egg to hatch it? Would the hen raise the chick? How long will it take for the egg to be fertile and hatch? How long will the whole proses take? Dose it matter what type of cockerel i put in there? Thanks ;) please respond ASAP
Rhode never sit on eggs.
The cockerel have to stay with the jeans minimum 10 days before you start to collect the eggs for incubation.

·
28 Posts
Fastest way would be to use a method to extract seamen from the male with a pippet and place it in the hen I've seen it done on YouTube vids.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
With chickens? I know horses, dogs, zoo animals, humans ... But chickens?!?!?!?!

Wow. I can just imagine semen collection from a Roo. No wait, I can't. No wait I'm just not sure I want to.

:-0

·
Registered
391 Posts
AI in chickens, yes, I would think its possible. But the possibility of finding an AI expert locally would be virtually nil.

Borrow the rooster, segregate the RIRs with the rooster for atleast 2 weeks. Collect the eggs, incubate the eggs in an incubator.

Save the eggs for 8 - 10 days, incubation is 21 days, I have had hatches on day 20 and as late as day 23, but if it ain't out the egg by then, well maybe it's meant not to get out the egg.

Two reasons to use an incubator. 1-- the chances of a modern RIR hen going broody is slim. 2- an inexpensive incubator with air circulation and auto turners can be had for about $100 - $150. And with care the incubator can last years.

I will also agree with Buckeye, best bet is with oeg bantam, if you got to have a broody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
WaterFowl209 said:
Fastest way would be to use a method to extract seamen from the male with a pippet and place it in the hen I've seen it done on YouTube vids.
If he have success with this technique, the next 10 dans after he start the artificial insemination, the eggs will be infertile, because the "today egg" it's start to become an leyied egg with 10 days before the shell is formed and the egg is in the nest.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
The cost of AI is pretty high too. These would be extremely expensive eggs. And why would someone use artificial means when the natural method works so well? They use AI in champion dogs that either can't conceive or don't get along with other dogs. They use AI to solve transportation issues when Horses live across the country of across the world. I still just don't see why someone would use this method for chickens. Maybe it's just me. I'm pretty holistic after all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts