Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one adult chicken, I think she's a black sex link, who currently lives alone, because all her flock mates were picked off by wild animals. I wanted to get her some new flock mates so she wouldn't be so bored and lonely, so my family and I bought some fertilized legbar eggs and incubated them. We got four healthy chicks. The legbar chicks are now about a month old and a little over half the size of the adult hen. The legbars are currently living in a dog kennel that is definitely too small for them, but the only other place they can go is the coop where the adult lives. I want to introduce them soon, but last time they were together, the hen was being pretty violent and drew blood on one of the pullets. I don't want to just throw the legbars in with the hen because I'm scared there will be a lot of fighting. Does anyone know how I can introduce them without accidentally killing them?

·
Registered
Floof queen
581 Posts
I have one adult chicken, I think she's a black sex link, who currently lives alone, because all her flock mates were picked off by wild animals. I wanted to get her some new flock mates so she wouldn't be so bored and lonely, so my family and I bought some fertilized legbar eggs and incubated them. We got four healthy chicks. The legbar chicks are now about a month old and a little over half the size of the adult hen. The legbars are currently living in a dog kennel that is definitely too small for them, but the only other place they can go is the coop where the adult lives. I want to introduce them soon, but last time they were together, the hen was being pretty violent and drew blood on one of the pullets. I don't want to just throw the legbars in with the hen because I'm scared there will be a lot of fighting. Does anyone know how I can introduce them without accidentally killing them?
I had the same problem. One of my seramas had her siblings killed by wild animals, and introducing her to the big flock was a disaster. What I did, though it WAS a lot of money, was get her 2 more of her kind and build a new small coop. I can't see any other way to get out of this problem. :/

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Pics. Can you do pics? It would help in understanding what you're working with.

Does the single hen free range? Do you have a covered run on the coop? If you have a run you can turn the peeps loose in there during the day.

·
Registered
Chick Lover
2,249 Posts
Hmm, tuff situation at the moment.
I would slowly introduce them over the fence.
It's always so hard introducing new ones!😛

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics. Can you do pics? It would help in understanding what you're working with.

Does the single hen free range? Do you have a covered run on the coop? If you have a run you can turn the peeps loose in there during the day.
I'll just came home from school and was going to take the pictures and then I realized that one of the leg bars was dead

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just checked out the scene, it looks like a cat or something did it. One of the males is gone. The female body is decapitated and both hers and the male head is lying next to the kennel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad just threw the remaining pullets into the run with the adult. I don’t think that was the best way to move them in with the hen but I guess it’s safer than the kennel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There’s a little bit of chasing and pecking but it doesn’t seem that bad at the moment. Anyone know how I can stop things from escalating? They’ve already been visually introduced for a little over a week.

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Absolutely safer. More than likely it was either a raccoon or weasel that killed them. That cage was nowhere safe enough for them to be outside like that. I wish I had asked for a pic sooner I could have told you that.

You can put the crate in the run with the single hen in there. That will give them all some time to get used to each other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely safer. More than likely it was either a raccoon or weasel that killed them. That cage was nowhere safe enough for them to be outside like that. I wish I had asked for a pic sooner I could have told you that.

You can put the crate in the run with the single hen in there. That will give them all some time to get used to each other.
Alright thank you. How do I know when to let her out?

·
Administrator
22,048 Posts
Put her in there if things escalate, if they don't then you won't need to do that. I wouldn't worry about a nest box for now even if she has to go in. I would let her out at night to go roost with the others. That will help with integrating everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts