how do chickens cope with all this wet rain weather?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by chickengirl2012, Oct 3, 2012.

1. chickengirl2012

chickengirl2012 New Member

Hello iam new and where just enquiring about getting a coop online for chickens so many questions about these birds:) how do they cope with all this wet weather we are having?:):p:D

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Welcome to chicken forum from NJ. Have fun! Get a decal/sticker! Get yourself put on the map. Visit often!

3. 7chicks

7chicks New Member

Hi chickengirl! Welcome! Where are you from? I'm from MI. When its rainy out, I still let my girls have the option of going outside. As long as its not heavy down pour, they still like to be outside. Best time for worm hunting they told me. :D

4. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Welcome !! From North East Texas, I too open the run on rainy days, some jump right out and go about their day like normal, and some will hang around and watch the others but they all eventually end up outside. On rainy days you may see stains on your eggs, it's just that the humidity and wet hay and feathers in the nest boxes cause a discoloration, no need to be alarmed its not all the time when it rains but it can happen, just FYI.
    Take some pics and share with the class..
    Again Welcome !

Cogburn

5. amandahalterman

amandahalterman Junior Member

I have just noticed stains~ discoloration on my egg for the past 3 days, I was wondering what it was

6. cogburn

cogburn New Member

Looks like tea stains... I only get them when heavy dew, or rain..

7. chickengirl2012

chickengirl2012 New Member

Thanks everyone, iam from UK

8. patlet

patlet New Member

As long as the birds can get dry, have clean food, water and nesting sites, they will go in and out as they please. We always offer a red heat lamp over a dry area in the coop. Birds who get too wet and cold seek out these areas. Healthy birds can handle freezing temps as long as they are dry. 40 degrees and rainy? They need a place to bring up their core temp.

9. rob

rob New Member

hi chickengirl. im from uk as well. my chickens cope very well with the rain, they put up with light rain and happily wander around in it, when it gets heavy they run for the covered area of the run.
    just make sure the food is kept dry and they have an area to shelter.