Chicken Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is 15 degrees in New York. What do I need to do for my chickens to keep them safe? They have an enclosed area to sleep in but it's not heated. Does it need to be?

·
Registered
166 Posts
nah your good! feathers are the best form of insulation!!! its negative 10 where i am and my chickens withstand-ed the night fine the past 2 nights!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Even up here in Alaska most don't heat their coops. We have weeks where we don't get above 0*f. I still worry too. My coop is insulated and they huddle. Haven't had any issues yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advise. I'm a new "chicken mother" so I'm just worried about them. I did find that on the coldest days they tended to stay inside the enclosed area more do I guess they know what they're doing

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
It's 20 in NJ this morning. Dry cold. Thankfully not a lot of wind. But birds still want to be outside. So I let them. My polish just started laying again after a long vacation since Oct. So 3 eggs a day now.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Well tonight my polish decided to roost where it's warm. I put the silkie in the coop with her as he's her sleeping buddy. Good for them! First dibs on the mash and water in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts