Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
  2. DuckRunner

DuckRunner Well-Known Member

wOwEE! Amazing article Sylie!

Sylie likes this.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Thank you :) I need to find time to do the next one! garden season is sucking up all of my time!

4. seminole wind

seminole wind Previously seminolewind

I don't mind bug killer and Miracle Grow. But I do grow organic using mostly horse manure and sand to keep the ground soft and have some organics in a non-nutritious lawn.

Sylie likes this.
  5. Sylie

almost everything that grows naturally in your yard is nutritious, the weeds you pull from your garden? nutritious! I'm not joking :) for example: lambs quarters, here is a link to a site that side by side compares lamb's quarters to spinach:
    https://skipthepie.org/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/lambsquarters-raw/compared-to/spinach-raw/

Just as one example :)

6. seminole wind

Weeds. You just reminded me. Half of our lawn was heavy on weeds. TruGreen had a whole year and we ended up with more. This year I decided to try this company called Grass Monkey. I just realized today that all the weeds are gone!!!! Really Gone!!! I am amazed. They did what they said.

Sylie likes this.
  7. Sylie

I'm glad that you found something that worked.

8. seminole wind

How do I get rid of sugar ants?

Sylie likes this.
  9. Sylie

equal parts baking soda and powdered sugar. Baking soda messes with their internal chemistry and kills them. They take it back to their nest and kill the queen.

if you don't want to kill them, just keep them out of your home then mix 10 drops of peppermint essential oil with 8 ounces of water and spray it all around doors, windows, cracks in the walls/ceiling etc. It also works on mice and spiders.

10. seminole wind

I'll try the baking soda. Thx

Sylie likes this.
  11. Sylie

np. There is one other thing you can do, I didn't include it because it is a risk to other animals, you can put borax in too but you would have to change the method of delivery

12. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Well-Known Member

If they do what they say,they are out of a job.The bigger companies are the worst.One time,I bought a used fridge and it apparently came with roaches.I couldn't get rid of them so I called in the professionals.I called the big name one and after 4 really expensive visits,I still had as many roaches as before,maybe more.So I called someone else,an unknown, and he took what looked like a tube of caulk and caulk gun and left little trails of it all over the house.ALL of the roaches were gone in a couple of days.I never called them back but I sure recommended them to other people.

Sylie likes this.
  13. seminole wind

Down here we have Palmetto Bugs which are actually American cockroaches. They are big and fly. Sometimes they get in the house and scare the $hit out of me. I use Ortho Home Defense once or twice a year and no bugs, or maybe a dead bug.

Sylie likes this.
  14. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Well-Known Member

I remember those from a visit in the 70's.They were huge and flew!Right now I'm battling piss ants.They are everywhere,inside and out.Waiting on another bottle of Permectrin II now.I'm gonna have Dale go under the house with it this time and see if that helps with the ants and mosquitoes.

Sylie likes this.
  15. seminole wind

I've been using some yard spray that attaches easily to the hose. No muss no fuss. In the house and around it I use Ortho Home Defense. I admit it's hard to figure out where they come from. I'll have to put a teaspoon of sugar on the counter so I can see where they go.