Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RIR just started laying 6 days ago, and we've gotten 4 eggs. Today she was in the nesting box for an hour before she came out and there was no egg. I know their bodies must need to adjust but I'm curious if egg bound is something that happens this early, and what the signs might be. So far she is fine, pooping, eating, drinking, but I want to be prepared. Thanx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes they will lay in same box. Put some gold balls in the nests and that might incline her to lay more. Are other hens laying that are in your flock?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's the only one laying right now, and we have a few false eggs in the nest box, not sure what she's doing...

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Mine do that sometimes and they're 2 - 3 years old. She's probably still trying to figure out this whole egg laying business.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think some of it is just habit. Chickens are big on routine.

One of mine sometimes will sit on the nest for two hours and nothing happens. Then cackle like she’s just laid the biggest egg in the world and run out to join the rest of the flock waiting for her on the manure pile. Then everyone is off to the gully to scratch in the leaves.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, she finally popped one out, but it wasn't huge or anything, no sure why she took so long with it, like you said, it must be habit. Thanks so much! Any of you know what BR eggs look like? We got two eggs this morning and I'm thinking one is from the BR.

·
Registered
289 Posts
TJsGirls said:
Thanks all, she finally popped one out, but it wasn't huge or anything, no sure why she took so long with it, like you said, it must be habit. Thanks so much! Any of you know what BR eggs look like? We got two eggs this morning and I'm thinking one is from the BR.
Anywhere from a light tan to a medium brown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts