Featured Horse's abscess

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by seminolewind, Oct 10, 2017.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

A woman was riding my horse regularly by agreement. She's a good rider. My horse inadvertently got trimmed and ridden the next day. 2 days later came up lame on a Thursday. She tells me that Sunday because she got busy! Some people are so stupid. She's one of those people where 95% of all conversations end up talking about herself.

Anyway, I started using an Epsom salt paste and bandage the hoof. (hoof abcess is like bumblefoot on a horse with a pocket of puss that has to work it's way out. Years ago the vet would come and dig around in their hoof, but that's not done anymore. Now it's basically painkillers, soaking, and leaving the horse in the pasture because walking increases circulation. So it's a daily trip to the barn. I think it does me good getting out there daily!

It's been almost 2 weeks. These things take time.

2. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

3. seminolewind

I heard both sides of soaking or not, and a friend told me that Epsom salts is supposed to draw the abcess out.

One thing that was pointed out to me (stupid, duh!) is osmolarity (sp). Soaking in water would weaken the wall, but Epsom salts will draw the moisture out. I know we both know that, LOL.

She was really lame today and I undid the "cast" and the Epsom salt gel actually did work. She had a slit type hole where she was ouchy. I repacked with Epsom salt gel and will see tomorrow. She's on bute for now.

I cut a piece of diaper to fit her hoof, added gel and wrapped it with duct tape. Hopefully she'll show improvement.

4. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

My neighbors horse got an abscess , she is soaking like you and she had her vet come out and trim the hoof and cut open the abscess, it drained out and she is still treating it too.
    I would be pissed at the woman and not let her ride my horse if it was me,but that's just me. If you can't tell me the day it happened you don't deserve to ride my animal

5. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with ME.If it was my horse and I let someone ride her,I would expect to be told if something was wrong,immediately.It took her 4 days to make a simple phone call.Was the horse being treated during this time or was it left to fester?Did the stable know?Sem,there's a house next to me for sale,even comes with a horse shelter and small pasture and country roads to ride on and most parks have horse trails.Lots of lakes and rivers but no oceans.........

seminolewind and Maryellen like this.
  6. seminolewind

CQ, I would love that! But I don't know if I like the cold.

I think the woman should have called me. Most vets down here don't try to dig drain holes because there's a chance of doing more harm than good.
    That woman is all about herself. Always had been. But she also has a $30k horse that's had nothing but serious problems costing her a fortune.

7. chickenqueen

You get use to the cold.Besides,it was in the 60's/70's last Jan and Feb.It was cold for 2 wks in Dec.No snow for 3 years.Plus,there's coats and hats and gloves.The only time you notice the cold is if you sit still in it like watching a football game but there's beer and hot chocolate to warm your innards.The weather is not as severe as NY,we're more south,near the KY and IN borders.

8. seminolewind

You're giving me ideas..........
    However, it's a little hard right now, as we are almost making our way into perfect weather for 7-ish months. 70's every day..........

9. seminolewind

I saw Prisma today. She seemed worse. I unwrapped her foot and there's no abcess activity. A farrier (blacksmith) happened to be there. He says that her feet are tender from moisture. So 4 days of bandages that are moist just made things worse or hoof softer. He recommended this stuff to toughen up her hooves. He says it happens all the time. The hoof that had the dressing made her hoof even softer like you can press with two thumbs and get movement. So today she got the toughener and went for turnout. But if it's moist outside, I may keep her in her stall to let her hooves dry out. Maybe she should have stayed in today. I'm grateful for the professional opinion from a lifelong farrier. Nothing like knowledge. Hopefully I can ride her in a week. With my daily visits we have bonded again. She sees me and nickers. I just doesn't seem like I've had her for 12 years.
    8156097694_b74837f0b2_z.jpg pris6.jpg

dawg53 likes this.
  10. chickenqueen

What breed?Palamimo(sp?)?She's a beauty.I'm jealous.I'm glad to hear she's on the mend.There was a horse next door that was neglected.She was a beautiful quarter horse.Her hooves were so bad from standing in mud and not trimmed.They turned upwards and split and cracked and you could tell it was painful.I felt bad for her.When she moved,rumor had it she was going to ask me to"board" her on my property.I would've but she never did.She wouldn't have gotten her back.The owner also kept a jack russel terrier,the sweetest little dog,in a cage locked in the garage.She also originally had our African Grey Parrot.She kept her in a laundry room with a squeaky dryer.It took me a long time to get her over her fear of women.We're girlfriends now.People like her don't deserve animals.I'm glad she moved.

11. seminolewind

She is Tennessee Walker. The glide ride, LOL.

People suck when it comes to animals. If you are not a terrier person, you should not own a terrier. When a farrier gets a horse like that, the first thing they do is use a hacksaw to remove the upturned part. It's so awful.

12. Maryellen

13. seminolewind

14. seminolewind

Well, on Sunday she looked almost good. Today I go and she is very very worse. So I'm meeting the vet tomorrow morning. I wonder if she has a bone chip or something. I told the vet she may need xrays.

I think I'll not let anyone ride her until I'm comfortable. It's really not the rider's fault. Just someone should have called me sooner. I really don't like the excuse "I got busy with other things".

15. chickenqueen

I hope it's easily treated.Have you told rider to come and look at your horse?I would and then some.I don't know about you but if you mess with my animals you mess with me.I think it was irresponsible and inconsiderate.If you had known sooner,your horse might be healed now.I'm mad about it,too.Good luck with the vet...

16. seminolewind

I met with the vet this morning. Of course the one vet without the xray machine came even after I left a message that I may need an xray. My horse was practically fall down lame this morning. She will be back tomorrow for xrays.

That woman was there and I was chatting with her and another woman and she never said "how's the horse doing?" Just a lot of talk about herself. Then she's waiting for the vet like me because her horse needs injections, and she goes on and on with the vet about how long will it be until she can ride her horse. Not how long will it be until her horse is okay.

Then the vet examines my horse and we are discussing her and of course this woman has to come and interrupt with a question. Still hasn't asked about how my horse is doing!

This vet works with my vet. She did a lot of yakking about stuff we've already tried treating her for, basically an abcess or a tender sole . Like stuff that I think she should have been showing improvement on. Or she guesses a bruised heal that was getting better, then got rebruised!

I told her I'd like xrays, so she'll be back tomorrow. I mean that's what I asked for because I'm done guessing. My concern right now is a fracture or bone chip. I'd like to rule that out. Well those xrays better be darn clear or she can take them over!

17. seminolewind

I was not going to mention this because it's highly unlikely but being the naïve person I am, I wonder..........

The woman that rode my horse has a horse she paid a lot of money for that has been nothing but serious medical problems. The last one being that her horse foundered (the bone inside the hoof is held in place by hundred of little fingers. When they are toxic , they let go of the bone and the bone can sink thru the bottom of the hoof.)
    I think her horse's problems are sincerely serious and I think more damage done than she is saying. She says it will be another month or two before she is rideable. I think more like a year. And the horse has another problem , but I am questioning that because this breed of horse rarely gets "navicular" which is a wearing away of a small bone and very painful.

Anyhow, her horse is a serious bag of continuing medical problems which are serious. I have often felt that aside from being really self centered , she appears to enjoy the attention.

So a little voice makes me wonder why my horse and the other lady's horse she rides are both lame. I hate saying that, and she didn't over ride my horse, or the other lady's horse. And both are coincidentally lame with different things.

Maybe it's nothing. I've never seen her do anything bad. But hearing this morning that the other horse she rides needs to be checked for something-well that made me wonder. Would it make anyone else wonder?

18. Maryellen

I would definitely be wondering. It's too much of a coincidence that two horses have issues with the same person riding them. And if her horse always has medical issues I'll bet you it's the woman-not the horse ... I'm betting the woman rides her and anyone else's horses rough, very rough, probably a bit abusive .... I personally would not let her near my horse again. And I personally would have reamed her a new asshole for A. Hurting my horse and not telling me right away and B. Being the rude bitch she is not even asking how my horse is that she screwed up. But that's me, I don't hold anything back and God help you if you hurt my animals (I am a bitch with certain things)

chickenqueen likes this.
  19. seminolewind

Oooo,,Maryellen I'm glad you're in my corner.
    I have not ever seen her abusive , or ride rough. And her own horse has serious problems that I don't think can be induced by her or anyone.

She ain't riding my horse anymore. I feel very protective now. And yes, she should have called me right away and not waited 4 days. It's just a questionable situation.

20. chickenqueen