Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking through the posts for this thread and haven't seen many from recently so here is my hobbie! I love horseback riding especially showjumping! I love jumping courses but also i like taking long hacks through the woods. My horse means everything to me! She is called Izzie and is 16.3 hands. Very big, beautiful warmblood! I currently have 3 chickens, 1 horse, 1 cat and a dog. Later on in the year, we are going to start up our own farm with lots more animals (Including chickens!) Is anybody else a horse rider? If so, what technique do you do? I would love to know more about you and your horse!:)
P.S Let me know if you want picture of Izzie!

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
Pics are always fun to see.

I had a warmblood/thoroughbred cross. He was the easiest going animal which is so typical of the old style warmbloods. Talk about tall, I forget now how many hands he was. His back was at the top of my head and I'm 5'4". To groom his back I had to stand on a bucket to reach. To get on his back I had to drop the stirrup all the way down then raise it once I was seated.

I started western but the first time I sat in an English jump seat there was no going back to western.

I no longer have horses but do enjoy reading about others' animals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics are always fun to see.

I had a warmblood/thoroughbred cross. He was the easiest going animal which is so typical of the old style warmbloods. Talk about tall, I forget now how many hands he was. His back was at the top of my head and I'm 5'4". To groom his back I had to stand on a bucket to reach. To get on his back I had to drop the stirrup all the way down then raise it once I was seated.

I started western but the first time I sat in an English jump seat there was no going back to western.

I no longer have horses but do enjoy reading about others' animals.
wowzer! thats a big horse! My izzie is currently on a different farm so we are going to see her on Sunday!! Will put some pics then :)

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
The girl that owned him before me was shorter than me, she had to use a bucket to get on his back.

Is your Izzie the old style Warmblood? I've read recently that they've been messing with them when breeding. Going for hotter personalities.

I also learned that the Morgans today are unrecognizable from the original breed which is so sad. They were one of my favorite breeds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The girl that owned him before me was shorter than me, she had to use a bucket to get on his back.

Is your Izzie the old style Warmblood? I've read recently that they've been messing with them when breeding. Going for hotter personalities.

I also learned that the Morgans today are unrecognizable from the original breed which is so sad. They were one of my favorite breeds.
no izzie is a dutch warmblood so no i dont think so.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
What makes the breed so popular should not be played with. It's a disappointment to learn that this have been going on with the two breeds.

My Max was Haflinger/thoroughbred and born way before they started messing with the breed.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Our Fossil Ledges Therapeutic Riding horses are re-trained off the track Thoroughbreds. Lots of work and training but great horses!

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
The stable where I had my horses when I lived in N. VA had a contract with the county to rehab horses that came to them because of abuse. Most of them were thoroughbreds. Most were hot as rockets but this one mare. She won my heart and when I was at the farm I'd go get her for a good grooming.

I have a little idea, very little, what it took to retrain animals that are so hot blooded.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
it takes about a year to get their new off the track nutrition and basic training together and then another 2-3 years of training for Therapeutic Riding. They have to be bomb proof, for the Special Needs children.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
It definitely takes the right horses to do this. They have to be trainable, regardless of how long it takes and they have to pass a test and be certified by NAHRA or PATH.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
I don't have the stamina for it anymore, it's Melissa's domain now. I do the paperwork and chase after my bird hobby.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Wow Robin, 150? Some days 40 seems like a lot around here! And that is capacity for this year heading into winter. Except for the twelve Swedish Blue Duck eggs in the incubator which are all spoken for. Although after I said no more eggs, I added three India Blue Peafowl eggs to the incubator. I told our Postal Lady that I was done with eggs for the season! So I need to stick with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow Robin, 150? Some days 40 seems like a lot around here! And that is capacity for this year heading into winter. Except for the twelve Swedish Blue Duck eggs in the incubator which are all spoken for. Although after I said no more eggs, I added three India Blue Peafowl eggs to the incubator. I told our Postal Lady that I was done with eggs for the season! So I need to stick with it.
OMG 40 CHICKENS!!!?? How!!?? Im so jealous:( i only have 3 but i am looking for more:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
I am not at all surprised to learn no more for the season only to hear almost immediately that somehow more found their way into incubation.

I raised show Silkies. And then there were a couple of breeds I really liked. And the big Guinea flock.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,790 Posts
The stable where I had my horses when I lived in N. VA had a contract with the county to rehab horses that came to them because of abuse. Most of them were thoroughbreds. Most were hot as rockets but this one mare. She won my heart and when I was at the farm I'd go get her for a good grooming.

I have a little idea, very little, what it took to retrain animals that are so hot blooded.
I actually have heard of this place- or one like it- in NOVA; I'm from there, but live in SW VA now. A lot of my family still lives up there from my dads side-scattered from Baltimore down to Manassas, and in between. I've mainly heard they do really good work with them- if it's the same place, and there aren't usually a ton in a given area I know.

I've never had the joy of owning a horse, but I rode them often when I was younger, our friends' horses and horseback riding camp too. I love and miss it. It's been probably.... 20 years or longer since I was on one though. Love hearing about it tho! And maybe someday we will get our real home in the country, and enough space and means to keep my own horse.

Yes pictures pictures! Everyone loves pics.

·
Super Moderator
3,887 Posts
Our nonprofit has a Facebook page under Fossil Ledges with some pictures of the Therapy Horses. I'm sorry it doesn't get updated too much, we are a small nonprofit depending on volunteers and I'm not very tech savvy. The farm next door used to do a lot of work with Mustangs.

·
Administrator
22,348 Posts
I actually have heard of this place- or one like it- in NOVA; I'm from there, but live in SW VA now. A lot of my family still lives up there from my dads side-scattered from Baltimore down to Manassas, and in between. I've mainly heard they do really good work with them- if it's the same place, and there aren't usually a ton in a given area I know.

I've never had the joy of owning a horse, but I rode them often when I was younger, our friends' horses and horseback riding camp too. I love and miss it. It's been probably.... 20 years or longer since I was on one though. Love hearing about it tho! And maybe someday we will get our real home in the country, and enough space and means to keep my own horse.

Yes pictures pictures! Everyone loves pics.
The stable I had my horses at was in MD. I'd have to do a map search to remember which town. It's been a long time since they were there.

Fridays to cross the bridge was a nightmare with folks leaving for the weekends.

I almost moved to So East VA last year. But changed my mind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts