Ducks Hopefully they hatch this time.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by squirrelhunter, Jul 30, 2017.

1. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's where I'm getting a major difference of opinion,you say 45%,I've read anywhere from 65-85% and a couple on here swear 80%,I don't have any idea where to start. I'm using the candling light that came with the incubator,they look just like when I put them in,the yokes at the top,same size,and the white's at the bottom still white. I really don't have a good way of taking a picture of them,it takes both hands to candle them and my phone don't take clear pictures up close.

Sent from my XT1030 using Chicken Forum mobile app

2. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

After 8 days if they are fertile you will see veins. That's if the eggs are the same age. If the eggs are different ages then candle the older ones. The candler that came with it shoukd work, or a led flashlight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I candled all 4 of them and they all look the same. They'd only been laying a couple days when I got them,maybe that has something to do with it I don't know. I put another 1 in there yesterday that they just laid,maybe it'll do better.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain

These people that say 65-85%, what do they say for hatching (last 3-4 days)? 100%?

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

94%........

6. casportpony

So they incubate with condensation visible for the entire 28 days? In mine I see condensation at 70%.

7. casportpony

8. Maryellen

I got mine from another site, I forgot which one. I used it for the ducks I hatched. For the chickens I don't go that high as when I did the first time the chicks hatched all gooey. Now I use whatever the humidity meter says on the incubator

9. casportpony

Can you find the other site? Every place I just looked suggests a much lower relative humidity. And while I am no expert, I do hatch a quite a few 28 day ducks and Muscovies every year, and the one time I tried 55% over half of them died because they didn't loose enough weight. :(

10. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I don't remember which site I saw that said 65% but this one says 55% https://ahdc.vet.cornell.edu/Sects/duck/hatching.cfm

and both of these says 86% https://www.duckeggs.com/duckeggs-hatchingduckeggs.html

http://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=16736739

I thought the 1 that says 55% said 65% but I misread it,they was talking about when putting it into the hatcher to have it set at 65%,not during incubation. I was planning on doing it about 50-60% until I saw those and also had a couple on here say 80% so I tried raising it up. Didn't matter on those eggs though,I just cracked 1 open and there wasn't any blood veins in it at all so I pitched all 4 of them,they all looked the same. I kept the 1 in there I just put in there the day before yesterday though,hopefully it'll have something at least start in it. We'll see I guess. If it doesn't do anything then my incubating is done until next Spring after I get an accurate thermometer/hygrometer like I mentioned before.

11. casportpony

Look closely at the Metzer site, it does not say 86%, it says "The humidity reading is by wet bulb.", which is different. The duckeeggs site does say 86%, but I think they just copied Metzer's and assumed it was percentage. Sites like these have killed many duck eggs. :(

This picture is from Metzer. the highlight and text box were added by me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

This 1 says 65%,that's what I'm getting at,different answer everywhere I look. It also says it's best NOT to use a turner but to turn by hand which is the first I've seen that.
    https://joybileefarm.com/hatching-duck-eggs/
    This 1 says 45-55% so who knows what's right (smh)

http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/animals-and-wildlife/how-to-hatch-duck-eggs

I like this,that's what I'm going to go by.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    casportpony likes this.
  13. Maryellen

After 10 days if no veins show then the egg isn't fertile. I candle at 10 days and toss any duds

14. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope you all figure it out.I may need guidance next spring when my geese start laying.LOL

15. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Like I said last night,I pitched them. Still got 1 in there though that's only been in there 3 days. I also dumped all the water out of it and re-sterilized it. I may put 1 more in there since this one was cooled for about a half hour while waiting on the incubator too to get back up to heat.

16. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

17. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Well,not looking good,I've already pitched 7 that wasn't fertile and it looks like these last 2 aren't either. I've heard waterfowl have to have water to breed,is that true?? I mean,if they breed on land does it not do any good?? Just wondering because I've only witnessed them doing it in water once but they're always doing it on land, didn't know if that's causing fertility problems or not,I know the last ducks I had always did it in the water,at least as far as I know,and they had mostly fertile eggs.

18. Maryellen

Sometimes they need to mature before eggs get fertilized. My rooster has a crappy fertility rate, he is a year old and just isn't hitting his mark. Next year I'll try him again. It's possible to your waterfowl just aren't mature enough yet

squirrelhunter likes this.
  19. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I guess that's possible,they're only 6 months old,the others were about a year old before I started trying to hatch them. I was just hoping I could get a few hatched before it got much later because cold weather's right around the corner and I hoped to get the male-female ratio a little more right but the way I keep having people wanting to give me more ducks,I really don't have room for them anyway. Guess I'll wait until Spring.