Ducks Hopefully they hatch this time.

Discussion in 'Waterfowl' started by squirrelhunter, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Add more water. And soak a washcloth in hot water and place it in the incubator, plus spray the eggs with warm water every few days and that should raise the humidity more, or put a bowl of water in too

Sent from my SM-G900V using Chicken Forum mobile app

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

I added more water,several times,in different parts of the incubator,no change. The first time I ran it I had the entire bottom covered in water and had the same problem. I'll try a wash cloth.

Sent from my XT1030 using Chicken Forum mobile app

3. Maryellen

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

It's an HHD I assume,don't know what else that would be. There's no contact information at all in the instructions manual. I got it on eBay. It's a forced air 1 though.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain

You incubate at 80% the whole time?

6. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

BTW, if your unit is all digital I would recommend verifying that the temp and humidity are reading accurately. That is the main complaint I've seen about units like this.

casportpony likes this.
  7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That looks quite a bit like it but not exactly. I know,I've checked it with 3 different thermometers and 1 other humidity gauge which says it's 10% higher than what the incubator says and all 3 thermometers read within a degree of the others. I'm planning on getting 1 I saw on 1 of the main incubator company's sites which says it's accurate within .2 degrees. Just got to get the money. I've been able to keep it between 75 & 80% the last few days,at least according to the 1 that reads higher,the other says it's 65-68%.

8. casportpony

Have you seen this?
    [​IMG]
    duck_egg_1.jpg

squirrelhunter likes this.
  9. casportpony

Interesting video. This guy uses the Styrofoam box it came in to help hold the heat better:

It's not the HDD, it's another Chinese knockoff of the Janoel 48

10. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

A Fluckers reptile thermo isn't that costly and is very dependable. I used that one in my Turn-X and had no issues hatching.

11. Maryellen

I have that yellow one, just got it. When I hatched the muscovy eggs for my friend I kept the humidity up high and sprayed the eggs a few times every week until lockdown. I kept the water channels full and added a wet washcloth as well and kept that wet. The ducks all hatched good , and then my friend hatched a bunch too with my jonel and she kept the bottom tray really fill with water.

12. Maryellen

I hatched muscovy eggs once. My friend hatched alot more then me

13. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That 1 looks just like mine except my electrical plug is verticle instead of horizontal and my styrofoam doesn't have a cut out for the control panel but maybe he did that.

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

That's what I've been doing the last couple of days,putting water in all the trays,spraying them and putting a wet washcloth in there,the gauge on the incubator hasn't gone above 68% and the one I put in hasn't went above 80% but is usually only 74-78%, won't stay at 80 long.

15. Maryellen

Maybe it will work with the extra water spraying , I am going to use mine for a test batch of neighbors eggs so I'll let you know how the humidity is.

16. Maryellen

Is the incubator filled up with 48 eggs?maybe that is why the humidity is hard to keep up? I noticed in my other incubators if I don't have them full with eggs I have to add more water

17. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Member

Oh no,there's only 4 eggs in it,I'm just trying to get 1 or 2 more hens so there will be more hens than drakes,even though I know it may not come out that way. My luck I'll get even more drakes lol. I'm also wanting to see if I can do it since both times before they all died. The most I've tried is about a dozen.

18. Maryellen

I'm setting 36 chicken eggs tonight in it, the other times I hatched I made sure to fill up the incubator with eggs.
    I noticed with this one I have t make sure the lid is closed good

19. casportpony

I have two of this type... One is an actual Janoel 48, the other is a cheap Chinese knock off. The Janoel is the better of the two, but neither hold humidity very well.