Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent 2 hrs making this today, almost done but I have some questions. The inside usable space is about 13x21 inches it has 2 inches of insulation around it. What wattage bulb should I use and is this size fan to much power? It's pretty strong.

image-1371788590.jpg

image-1445084311.jpg

Still have to finish the door and build an egg tray but im getting there :)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I just made one out of a styrofoam cooler, I am using a 13watt fluorescent bulb(the curly Qtype) have 3 egg in it right now, on day 3 temp stays around 99- 101.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I think the FAN will be fine. BUT....the important thing is to use a baffle on the "air-out" side of the fan ....so that it does NOT blow directly upon the eggs ....but, instead, moves the warmed air all around the inside of the incubator.
I put a similar used computer-fan in my Little Giant incubator.
For a baffle, I used a metal lid cut from a large coffee can....with short spacers made of small plastic tubing over the mounting screws. It works just fine. ( you can fold-over the sharp edges of the coffee-can lid with a pair of pliers, making CUTS less likely.)
-ReTIRED- :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
That looks great!

I just finished making a foam incubator and have set my first eggs, mines nothing compared to that monster!! Good job!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Figured out the correct wattage light bulb to use! First tried 75 watts and it got to 120 degrees in 2 hrs. Then tried 40 watts and it took 3 hrs but now it's at a stable 100 degrees. Had to order a different fan the one I have is to strong. Found an article that says your fan should circulate between 5 and 8 times the number of square footage of air per minute in your incubator. Not sure how accurate that is but mines like 14 times more then it should be so I think I need a smaller one lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also have the fan hanging about 1.5 inches away from the side of the incubator and is facing it so the wood acts like a buffer. What I can't figure out is would it be better to have the fan on the bottom with the bulb or at the top to sort of pull the hot air up there because without the fan the top tray is 7 degrees cooler than the bottom one

1 - 14 of 14 Posts