Home made treats for bored hens!

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by jasmin, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Hello everyone, I have two silkies and was wondering if I can make them some home made treats to keep things interesting for there? Does anyone know of healthy recipes for chickens? Or foods that they love that take a while to peck at? Would hate for them to be bored when I am not home-they are on the grass as the moment and I move their coop around each week so we can still have a nice lawn. Does anyone have a home made sand pit or something to keep them entertained? Any tips would be great! Thank you!

2. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

I have a kiddie swimming pool full of organic peat moss. They LOVE to get in there and take baths. As far as treats I've heard cabbage hung on a string is good.

3. kimberley

kimberley New Member

mine like green grapes. like cantalope with the seeds chopped us is good and is also a natural wormer. pumpkin with chopped up seeds also. chop the seeds and it works better as the natural wormer.

4. Bluerooster

Bluerooster New Member

just about any fruits, Apples, oranges, melons, etc. Come laying time they also like lettuce.
    And believe it or not, Not fresh, but not totally composted, horse pucky, They love to scratch and play in it.
    It's full of protien rich grubs, which they find to be a delicacy beyond compare.

5. LICHICK28

LICHICK28 New Member

You have to watch out for hanging treats on string. A friend had chicken strangle on string. We think the momentum of cabbage swinging wrapped around her neck. I put veggies in suet cage nailed to run wall

6. Pinkter

Pinkter Member

Thank you. I hadn't thought of that.

7. Kellence

Kellence New Member

Sweetcorn they go crackers for and mine like broccoli see below

Attached Files:

8. jasmin

jasmin New Member

Wow some great ideas! Thanks heaps everyone we will be sure to try these!