Chicken Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've mentioned this in another post but does any body have any quick fixes if the broody has made a hole in the air sack end of the egg... About 12 days in. All I could do was stick tape over it. It's about the size of a pea. I'm guessing the chick may be dead or die but I thought its worth an ask.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I candled two days after putting the tape over the hole and the little chick is still alive! Hope it makes it for another 7 days!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks... There seems a lot of condensation under the tape... But I'm just going to leave well alone and see what happens...
I'll let you know!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
LOLOL...LOVE this! Teddy Tape! I'm so glad you documented this...should make for a great story later on when someone says it can't be done. :D

Congrats on a good hatch!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
sideways said:
And here is teddy tape two days early.... And chirping away!!

Sorry if you've already read this on my other post! I got a bit excited!!
I had to put candle wax over a cracked egg at day 15. At lockdown the chick was still alive and moving in there. Today is hatch day so I'll let you all know how it goes! I'm glad to hear your story, I've never bothered with cracked eggs before.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Food Ingredient Wood Staple food Dish

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah good luck!! I'm sure he'll come out just fine!

I had another one hatch today from a different broody that had left her eggs to get stone cold twice!
It's amazing how they survive these things!

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, candle wax chick has hatched. It went fairly smoothly. Pipped in the one spot there was no wax (did he know???) looking a little rough and tired now, spent most of the day breaking through the wax and was the last chick out of the shell. Hopefully he does well. All of these chicks are RIR's. 40 in total and they are all sold to a lady replacing her whole flock this year. I've decided if Candle Wax makes it, I'm going to keep him. I owe him a cushy life because my clutziness almost ended it before he had a chance.

Hair Head Chin Mouth Neck

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah little Teddy tape had a bit of a wobble. His crop went massive and soft and he just stood around with his eyes half closed for a couple of days. So I gave his crop lots of massages tipped him upside down (nothing ) and then fed him lots of water with honey. Which seem to do the trick! He is now a little smaller than the rest through not eating for a couple of days.
Now he is running around and fine...!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts