Chicken Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

As not everyone seeing this would know about Hilda, I'll share a little info before sharing pictures of Hilda's surgery. (Warning as some if the photos are graffic)

Hilda is a rescue chook. An X layer from an intensive farm. She started showing signs of not being her forward bossy self. I health checked her, and noticed her crop wasn't fully emptied in the morning, and her belly felt squishy, her poop was much more watery than normal.
I had lost two rescue hens before to waterbelly. As Hilda laid a healthy egg daily I didn't suspect it would be that.

At the vet, he confirmed waterbelly as he drained a thick yellow yolk from her abdomen. .. He suspected a blockage from it in her intestines which is why she wasn't clearing her crop.

I thought I was about to lose another girl, thankfully, Hilda was in good enough health to have surgery to empty her crop and remove the yolk fluid build up. We caught it in time!

She also had an implant fitted to shut down her reproductive organs... No more eggs, no more waterbelly... We hope she makes a full recovery (so far so good) and is with us for many years.

Here are the photos the vet shared from Hilda's surgery. Bless her. You can see the yellow yolk fluid that had built up inside her.

Another warning as some are graffic.

Turkey meat Bird Food Chicken Galliformes
Bird Liver Fur Livestock Fish
Comfort Textile Rectangle Grey Pillow
Tattoo artist Orange Finger Medical glove Medical
o
Orange Petal Nail Service Medical

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is she still doing as good as she was? I'm guessing the answer is yes.
Yes she is....

She had her second post op this week and they were very happy and signed her off.

She has gone into a huge molt now. Maybe triggered by this experience so now getting her through that bless her.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I really don't think the forum is going to have much that you don't already know or are already doing.

The spayed girl I mentioned some time ago may not have been on this forum but on another that closed down long ago.

You've got quite the advantage there having vets so willing to help bird owners with any health issues. They are few and far between in the states.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I feel lucky now. They are few and far between here too..

The last get didn't even consider any intervention other than meds or PTS....

If it was that vet that would have been her only option.

I hope he never leaves!

Hilda is still cracking on. Recovering from a heavy molt. Recovery is taking her some time, hut everyday she gets a bit better.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Believe me, you have far more than we have here that are willing to give it a go. Here it's usually a flat out no. They won't even see them. Bird flu made it even harder to find one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's really sad for the chooks. Sorry to hear it's so tough there for that. Then I'm amazed how people have to find their own ways to try to help them.....

We have ours indoors currently because of bird flu and she was still seen....

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
It's why forums like this can be so helpful. We can learn from each other what steps to take should problems arise.

Now it's become difficult to get antibiotics without a vet prescribing them. So far there have been ways to work around that but I imagine at some point that door will also be closed.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Robin is right, the hobby birds end up being marginalized because of the overall practices concerning commercial stock. This thread has been very educational, since it is rare to find a vet who will actually treat a chicken for a specific ailment.

Reactions: LoxiKat

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Robin is right, the hobby birds end up being marginalized because of the overall practices concerning commercial stock. This thread has been very educational, since it is rare to find a vet who will actually treat a chicken for a specific ailment.
Hope it's helpful somehow.

Chickens are being veiwed more and more as other "pets" here at the moment. I got my girls pet insured for future too.

That's so sad about the hobby birds..... is it the law that doesn't allow vets to see them? Or they just won't?

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
My vet explained to me years ago that very little time is spent in college learning anything about chickens. So, when one is in front of them, they are going in blind trying to treat. Large animal vets are more open to treating but that doesn't mean they know as much as we do about their care.

I had one girl with a head injury. The treatment involved steroids. I had to provide them with the dosages needed to help her. The girl went on to live for 14 years.

@Poultry Judge we hobbyists actually know quite a bit about some of this and things that can be done to help our feathered friends.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Hope it's helpful somehow.

Chickens are being veiwed more and more as other "pets" here at the moment. I got my girls pet insured for future too.

That's so sad about the hobby birds..... is it the law that doesn't allow vets to see them? Or they just won't?
The vets generally just won't, because the chickens are classified as livestock. I find it very interesting that you were able to get insurance on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts