Hi I’m new!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Adamj, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Adamj

Adamj New Member

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. Hope to stick around!

Thomas Lippert likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Adamj. Pull up a keyboard and get comfortable.

Adamj likes this.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Adam! Welcome. We are glad that you're here. There's an empty nest box over there, grab one and join the flock!

Adamj likes this.
  4. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 New Member

Hey there! I’m new too. However I’ve found very quickly this seems to be a good bunch of peeps. So, I’ll welcome you too even tho it’s kinda not.... as big as the old timers lol? Hahaha you know what I’m saying. I hope. Enjoy.

Thomas Lippert, robin416 and Adamj like this.
  5. Adamj

Adamj New Member

Thank you. And also welcome to you as a fellow new member!
    I have found it to be a very friendly helpful forum so far :)

Thomas Lippert and Overmountain1 like this.
  6. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Greetings!
    I'm new too and new to chickens as well. Just started my little flock in April with day old chicks. I fear I am a little obsessed with chickens now...but I'm guessing I'm not alone with that.

I have few questions and would greatly appreciate some advice from experienced chicken people... looking forward to the community.
    Best
    M

7. robin416

Welcome, M. :D It's called chicken math, no matter what you say or do somehow your flock grows to numbers you never imagined.

We're here to help and to learn new tricks keeping them ourselves so dive right in.

Friendlyflock likes this.
  8. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Thanks!
    I'll post my questions in the forum, but maybe I can ask you directly as well...
    I got 9 chicks in April so they are almost 11 weeks old now. They were supposed to all be pullets, but predictably enough one ended up showing signs of being a cockerel quite early. Now it seems that two more are also cockerels. I believe the hatchery made a mistake, as not only are all three male, but they are also the wrong breed! In any case I'm attached to them, but realize I can only keep one of them.
    I'd like to get a few more pullets, as day old chicks to "replace" the cockerels.
    After my long winded intro my questions are:
    - Is it better to get new chicks soon and integrate them in six weeks or so while everyone is still young? So it would be 6 pullets and obeaone cockerel aged 17-20 weeks, meeting 3-4 pullets aged 6 weeks.
    - Would this disrupt the older pullets too much just at the time when they might be getting ready to lay?
    - Would it be better to wait until next year before getting additional pullets? (So as not to disturb the laying of the first group). Or are they more likely to have trouble integrating when the first group is older?
    Thanks!
    Best
    M

9. robin416

I would get them now. You'll still have to do a slow introduction but should be less than if the other birds are a year old.

Are the boys bantams? Are the two extras the boys? They have a habit of slipping in boys for packing peanuts.

It is possible to keep more than one male, especially if they've been raised together. If there is enough room in the coop and run they could cohabit pretty quietly.

10. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Thanks that's helpful!

No, they are not bantams. I bought them from a local vendor. I'm guessing the hatchery sent him the wrong chicks. They were supposed to be Speckled Sussex pullets, I think they are Brown Leghorns! They are beautiful.

My run is a decent size (about 12' x 30') and my coop is large.

Would 3 Roo's be ok for 6 hens?
    They all get along so far...

11. robin416

Yeah, I'm losing track of how many females you're going to have. If I'm reading this right you're going to have 9 or 10 females, two roos would be workable.

Your biggest challenge is finding the extra boys homes. What you can do is buy a couple extra females and sell them as a pair. It's easier if they are the same breed so if possible aim for that.

12. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Thanks. I have 9 in total. 6 confirmed females. 3 males.

13. robin416

But you said you're planning on adding three or four more females. That comes to nine or ten total.

14. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Ah, yes sooner or later, yes, then the total females would be around 9-10. The question is if adding the new ones sooner, when the older ones are 18 weeks old would prevent the older ones from laying....?

15. Sylie

16. Friendlyflock

Friendlyflock New Member

Thanks!​

17. Sylie

You're welcome