Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all chicks aficionados! We are first time chicks owners, we ordered 6 egg layers and were gifted an additional one, we don’t know if this beauty is a pullet or a roo, can someone please help us? Thank you!
Bird Beak Mixing bowl Feather Seabird
Bird Beak Feather Owl Wing

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
I'm awful at this and they are awfully young but that much comb makes it suspicious for being a little boy.

Welcome to the forum. The chicken adventure is one that never stops being an adventure.

I just spotted that waterer, I've never seen one like that. I love it. Too bad it can't be used when they grow up to be big birds.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like an Easter egger cockerel. (Huge legs, 3 row pea comb, and red wing patches) Assuming you got your chicks from a hatchery. When hatcheries give extra chicks with an order, they are almost 100% cockerels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm awful at this and they are awfully young but that much comb makes it suspicious for being a little boy.

Welcome to the forum. The chicken adventure is one that never stops being an adventure.

I just spotted that waterer, I've never seen one like that. I love it. Too bad it can't be used when they grow up to be big birds.
Thank you for your insight! We thought the waterer and feeder were so cute when we purchased them but they are not practical at all, we end up having to clean them multiple times a day. The coop arrives this coming Thursday, we are excited about that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. Looks like an Easter egger cockerel. (Huge legs, 3 row pea comb, and red wing patches) Assuming you got your chicks from a hatchery. When hatcheries give extra chicks with an order, they are almost 100% cockerels.
Thank you! I’m leaning towards chick being a roo, I said no to the gifted chick unless it was a female because we are not allowed roosters in our community.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Thank you for your insight! We thought the waterer and feeder were so cute when we purchased them but they are not practical at all, we end up having to clean them multiple times a day. The coop arrives this coming Thursday, we are excited about that!
You'll find that's an ongoing problem. The way to fix it is to raise it up on some sort of platform. Most of the time I got away with two by four chunks in the early days. Then I made platforms for the waterers to sit on. Now I've got hanging waterers but my quail still make a mess of them.

·
Super Moderator
3,935 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Yuni Piedra
1 - 20 of 20 Posts